Pics of new Halcyon setup!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor OP!
The rig looks great! Dive safe and have fun with it!

Although I fully subscribe to what some will call a DIR approach to diving, I am GUE trained and dive the picture perfect HOG rig.....this is not a tech/DIR/GUE forum. The OP never asked about streamlining, HOG theory, or anything really. He is just happy with his shinny new rig and wants to show it off. I think it's great. Let's stop telling everyone how they should be doing it....at least until they ask.

Poor OP!
The rig looks great! Dive safe and have fun with it!

Although I fully subscribe to what some will call a DIR approach to diving, I am GUE trained and dive the picture perfect HOG rig.....this is not a tech/DIR/GUE forum. The OP never asked about streamlining, HOG theory, or anything really. He is just happy with his shinny new rig and wants to show it off. I think it's great. Let's stop telling everyone how they should be doing it....at least until they ask.

To the OP, you know your rig, you know your diving profile and style. If you think that you need a 40-lbs wing then that's what you need.

BTW, the Blue H looks sweet!!! Mine is a 30-lbs wing but one of my Dive Rite rigs has the 45-lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
27xp8bb.jpg

Set up for attachment, using braided nylon cord & cave knot to a [-]chrome[/-] stainless steel bolt snap...
spg-clip2005.jpg

Minor, but important correction.

yeah, me too. it seems going for a needlessly large wing is a pretty common mistake.

Side by side the 30lb vs 40lb wing, there is an extremely minimal difference in dimension. I have dove a 25lb bladder before and found that when i did have to take it off in the water, It would sink (with maximum gear attached) with the bladder fully inflated. I also do not like inflating the bladder to maximum capacity under any circumstance, which a lot of tech guys do not take into consideration. If you have to fill the bladder to maximum capacity or near capacity, it becomes much more susceptible to puncture.

Maybe if the bladder dimensions were a bigger difference i would have gone with a 30lber, but in my scenario, I'm doing a lot more than sight seeing.

Jeff

Side by side the 30lb vs 40lb wing, there is an extremely minimal difference in dimension. I have dove a 25lb bladder before and found that when i did have to take it off in the water, It would sink (with maximum gear attached) with the bladder fully inflated. I also do not like inflating the bladder to maximum capacity under any circumstance, which a lot of tech guys do not take into consideration. If you have to fill the bladder to maximum capacity or near capacity, it becomes much more susceptible to puncture.

Maybe if the bladder dimensions were a bigger difference i would have gone with a 30lber, but in my scenario, I'm doing a lot more than sight seeing.

Jeff

Like I said, you know your diving style best and you definitely don't sound like you're fresh from OW. It always make me chuckle when other people automatically second guessing a seasoned diver's gear configuration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom