Place of dive tables in modern diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread has now reached the level of the Monty Python "I'm sorry, is this the 5 or 10 pound argument" sketch. Meaningless and pointless bickering.

It is SB, what were you expecting? The inquisition? (Crap, that is Mel Brooks...... )

Why, because I have 30+ years of successful tables use and only 5 years of successful PDC use. The tables haven't changed, they were safe for me to use for over 30 years. Why I'll ask you should tables not win out?
By the why 5 minutes is about the most difference I've found between the 2 as I recall, as least within NDLs.
On multilevel recreational dives when you don't know what your times will be at different depths because you do not know what you are going to see, the difference is often many multiples of 5 minutes. The difference is "I can go look at that shark" instead of "I don't dare go below my current depth".

It is SB, what were you expecting? The inquisition? (Crap, that is Mel Brooks...... )

Even by SB standards, this one is going on too long. And as if It's gonna make a squadoosh of difference to anyone. All of us old timers will die and those useless tables will die with us. Paradigm shift nearing the end.

This autumn my wife and I (through bumbling carelessness) lost a camera on a trip, so we replaced it. Even though the model we bought is by no means upper end, it has a dizzying array of functions and a terrible manual. No problem. The shop offers free instruction on the cameras it sells. We sat down with someone for over an hour while he want over all the features we might ever use, including personal advice on things we should ignore.

I don't ever hear of dive shops doing this sort of thing with the computers they sell. It would not be such a big deal to have someone sit down and go over the mere handful of critical functions (like dive planning, emergency decompression, setting O2 percentages, and logging dives). Neither of the shops for which I worked did that. I suggested it to the management of one of the shops, and they said "What a great idea!" and then never did anything.
2 of the LOBs I use in the Caribbean offer this Sevier.

Back
Top Bottom