Place of dive tables in modern diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The place of dive tables in modern diving is so you don't have to bend down so far to work on your gear.

I am wondering how many of you have used or heard of "Depth-Averaging Tables?" I know that UTD has these and in the UTD curriculum, they are called "Min-Deco Tables." I must state that my own knowledge of these is very minimal as I have not used them much except for a few test dives. They are supposed to give you your NDL based on average depth rather than max depth. Here is what they look like

To be used for Standard Gas of Nitrox 32 with UTD Min Deco Ascent Schedule:

60 ft = 60 mins
70 ft = 50 mins
80 ft = 40 mins
90 ft = 35 mins
100 ft = 30 mins
110 ft = 25 mins

The above depths are average depths, so you could be going up and down saw toothing through the dive but if you average depth is accurate then those limits are supposed to work. UTD Ascent strategy is something that looks like this:

IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG

Unlike conventional tables these limits are explained to be "repeatable." By repeatable, it means that if the surface interval is 60 minutes of more you repeat the same table for up to three dives and no adjustments will be needed. If your surface interval is less than 60 minutes then you will repeat the same table but double the stops on the way up.

Anyone using these?

[sarcasm] does the last page of the manual leave a space for local chamber information? [end sarcasm]

I am wondering how many of you have used or heard of "Depth-Averaging Tables?" I know that UTD has these and in the UTD curriculum, they are called "Min-Deco Tables."
It's my opinion that this is nothing but junk science. I wouldn't trust my well being to something like that.

UTD nonsense in Basic? Dangerous advice.

Average depth tables violate physics and biology. Gas on-take is not linear with depth/time, so average depth is not average gas on-take.

Average depth tables would be fine IF the 'average depth' was the depth that would properly predict your total gas load after the dive as if the dive were done at that constant depth.

If their average depth is truly just a depth average, then they are AFU. I don't care enough to check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom