Placement of Storage D-ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently dove my first Bp/W and loved it. I'm diving a Halcyon set-up: 30lb Eclipse wing with standard Hog Harness (no cinch system)

I'm having issues with the back D-ring on my crotch strap though. I've placed it about a hand width plus a half down from the backplate, but can't really clip off easily because my wing hangs over it.

Is this normal or should I move it farther down so the wing's not pressing on it? I have no trouble touching the bottom edge of my backplate.

Move it to where you can reach it. Too low and stuff will hang below you though.

All those guidelines are just starting points that work generally well. Everyone's body is different.

Well the thing is I could touch the D-ring even if it was right up against the edge of the backplate. So reaching it isn't the problem.
I'm having trouble hooking bolt snaps onto the D-ring because my wing sits right on top of it.
I have to slide my bolt snap between the wing and crotch strap and then it usually takes me a few swipes before I make a clean catch.

With my old back-inflate BC I only had the tank sitting over this D-ring, hooking it was no problem at all since they both sat pretty clear from each other.

Is it just a technique thing I have to get used to or is the D-ring more ideally placed where it's not under the wing?

Mine is a little under the wing. Try clipping from 'underneath' the dring, see if that helps.

I'll give it another shot with it under the wing. I've been trying to clip with the gate facing out from my back. Maybe I just have to get used to wiggling it beneath the wing.

Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom