Planning June, 2018 Trip to GC - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000RR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We will be in GC the 2nd week of June, 2018 staying at Morritts. We have a family of 5, 3 teenage girls. Only 2 divers... me (Dad) and my youngest (will be 14 by that time). To balance overall family time with some dive time for me and my youngest, I think we'll do 3 2-tank AM dives (leaves the afternoon/evening to enjoy as a full family). I've been in contact with Ocean Frontiers and they've been quite helpful so at this point I'm thinking we'll go w/them for those dives.

I think as a family we'll do Stingray City and try and find a boat that will let 2 of us dive it and the other 3 snorkel it (any suggestions on boat?). I think we will also try and do 2 shore dives at times when we get over to the West side of the Island (suggestions on top 2 spots to shore dive over there?). I was thinking of trying to fit in the Kittawake too, but not sure (suggestions on boat for that?). Other than that, we have no plans, just rest and relaxation. So any other suggestions are certainly welcome too... or if you have some considerations for the above.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi 1000RR, we run afternoon boats to Stingray City, the 15 feet deep one so great for divers and snorkelers. If you are making your way all over here I would certainly recommend a shore dive on the west side. The top spots would be Turtle Reef at Macabuca/Sun Divers and Lighthouse Point where we are located (within 3 minute drive from each other). Both locations also have excellent restaurants on-site for a lunch between your dives.

Beware that traffic at rush hour coming in to Georgetown from the East End can get busy, so take that into account or leave earlier or later.

Just shoot us a mail and we’d be happy to help you out!

Thanks for the information @Divetech Cayman! Those were two shore dives I had been reading about, so thanks for mentioning those as well. I had also heard of one closer to the port area (Devils Grotto or Eden?) but had read it has seen better days. Then I had read that schools of some silvers might be in the area around that time (June) and might be pretty cool?

Also, on your Stingray City dive/snorkel - do you drop the snorkelers off near the shallower area so they can stand w/the stingrays or is that pretty far away from where the divers would be?

I really enjoyed the shore dive out of Sunset House. Easy in, easy out. There's a statue, a small wreck and a wall easily accessible.

I do not recall who I dove with way back when I dove the east end, but the diving is definitely better than 7MB area sites.

West side was so rough when we went, no scuba was allowed, so I can't speak to that.

Have fun and make sure you hit Lone Star sometime during the trip. :)

+1 for the Shore Dive @ Sunset House and it will be closer to you, as it is on the south end of downtown. They also have a great outdoor restaurant on the water for a post dive meal or snack. Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto are adjacent to one another and can be dived on the same dive or as 2 separate dives. The site has seen better days, but I really enjoy it for the swim-throughs and numerous Tarpon. That being said, I don't think you'd get much out of it unless the first time you do it is with someone who can guide you, in order to take advantage of all the cool swim-throughs, which is where the Tarpon tend to hang out. As @Divetech Cayman said, the shore dives from Dive Tech and Turtle Reef are outstanding and great locations. You will really enjoy yourselves and I think your approach to the trip is going to give you a good bit of variety.

+1 for Stingray City dive with DiveTech and the Macabuca/Lighthouse Point shore dive recommendations. Lighthouse Point has a statue there now, too!

Are you trying to do a single tank Kittiwake dive? I think a few ops do that but the only one I can think of off the top of my head that might do a single tank to the Kittiwake is DNS. I might be remembering that wrong, but that's also a great op.

June is a great time to dive and visit GCM. Can't go wrong diving with OF. Turtle reef would be the go to shore dive on the west side. Your nondivers could visit the nearby Turtle Farm while you dive and all could meet up for lunch at Turtle Reef/Macabuca. My advice. Check out the cruise ship schedule on Cruisett and schedule accordingly. Rum Point is lovely for a visit with the family but not so much with cruise crowds in. Same for the public beach (Governors) on 7mb and just about anywhere or anything on 7MB and above. It is a fairly long drive from Morritts to 7MB and north and don't underestimate traffic during the week in the am and pm rush.

I did a single tank w Divers Down, then off to a 2nd site elsewhere.
I meant just a one-off single tank boat dive as opposed to a two-tank with one dive on the Kittiwake and one dive elsewhere. It sounded like the OP was short on time and trying to fit a lot in.

Also - stay off West Bay road for as long as you can when you head to 7MB. There's still traffic, but Easterly Tibbetts isn't usually as horrible as West Bay Road because there aren't as many tourists/pedestrians.

Back
Top Bottom