Planning June, 2018 Trip to GC - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Didn’t like the dani... blog link. Find it inaccurate and too over the top. That said was with a friend for dinner last week (she has been here for decades and her 20 something daughter is Caymanian). Her daughter writes a local food blog. Said she was struggling to say something positive about a venue but she had to be nice as they comped the meal/drinks for her and a friend. Really? Will never beleve a blog again...

I also like early morning for Sting Ray City, and I like the danilew blog because it focuses on the East End and so much of what you read about GC is all about 7MB, but the blog is still just the opinions of one individual - just like our individual postings on this community.

Our first 2 trips to GC, a decade apart, were centered on George Town and the Seven Mile Beach - because that is where all the hype leads you - and we liked the diving but we didn't like the island much - it was too developed and commercial and expensive and too much traffic IMO.

It wasn't until our 3rd trip when we discovered the Sister Islands and found life on GC away from 7MB that we started to love the country of Cayman. Now we can sample and appreciate the amenities available in George Town and 7MB but can still find quiet and remote experiences, and have learned how to avoid the traffic (usually!) and make the best choices for us regarding expense (sometimes!) and we still like the diving. You always have to weigh and consider everything you read, including this forum, to try and determine what will be the truth for you.

But having access to blogs and communities is a lot better than the old days, before the easy availability of the internet, when your main sources of information for dive destinations were glossy articles in magazines like Skin Diver, written to showcase their advertisers! We had to learn to read between the lines, so if an article celebrated a place as a "great destination for macrophotography" that probably meant that the reefs had been overfished. When the Undercurrent magazine came out, it was a great source for more honest information - but still often the opinions of others.

I traveled to South Korea on business a few years ago and I thought that I had researched everything carefully and was well-prepared, but guess what? I didn't bring any power adapters/converters and none of my rectangular plugs fit into the big round outlets in my hotel room, duh! I had forgotten that half the world uses a different system for electricity, and none of the things I had read had mentioned the need to bring adapters/converters, not even the hotel website.

So it's important to research destinations thoroughly and try to be informed before you travel - but you still have to recognize that much of what you read is personal opinion and may not be totally true or complete information, or that you may be missing an important piece of information.

BTW, South Korea is beautiful and modern and the people are very nice, but that's just my opinion!

Last edited:
Tadont. Thats great and OF is wonderful but who can you compare them with and why? Did you try DiveTech, Sunset, Tortuga just to start a very long list of incredible ops. There are maybe two or three ops I would not highly recommend but across the board the service, knowledge and professionalism here is very high. Otherwise they couldn’t stay in business.

Not sure but sadly think Capt Hermans Fish Fry is gone. For me food on the EE is Tukka and Stingrays. OTE has horrible service but great fried bread. Am anxious to tryTukka’s little sister restaurant and Czech Inn.

Last edited:
The Czech Inn is great The chef/Owner was the Exec. Chef at Morgan harbor and also Grand Old House and the White House on island he also has an extensive resume in Europe and N.Y. he is also a nice guy.

...Not sure but sadly think Capt Hermans Fish Fry is gone. For me food on the EE is Tukka and Stingrays. OTE has horrible service but great fried bread. Am anxious to tryTukka’s little sister restaurant and Czech Inn.

The Czech Inn is great The chef/Owner was the Exec. Chef at Morgan harbor and also Grand Old House and the White House on island he also has an extensive resume in Europe and N.Y. he is also a nice guy.

Tukka has a second restaurant! Where is it located?

We used to love Over the Edge but we've been disappointed there in recent years. It's still a fun setting with a beautiful view and so we will stop there for something light, but we don't expect much. It's really too bad, the food used to be very good.

The Czech Inn is unexpected and a lot of fun and the food is very good and reasonably priced, and on weekends you can also get some great fish at the Grapetree Café in Bodden Town and eat it at a picnic table on the beach.

Another option for dinner on the East End is going to see The Barefoot Man show at the Wyndham Reef on Thursday night. He is kind of a local Jimmy Buffet and not everyone's taste but we always enjoy his shows, see the link below. I think that the dinner and show are $55 CI.

You can order dinner from a pre-fixe menu and it is good but nothing special - or you can skip dinner and sit at the bar and watch the show and I believe that there is a 2 drink minimum.

Barefoot Man in the Cayman Islands Caribbean Music

There's also a beach barbecue at Kaibo on Tuesday nights for $25 CI and it includes entertainment. If you are staying on 7MB you can take a ferry over from Camana Bay, see the link below:

KAIBO- Restaurant, Beach Bar, Marina, Cayman Islands | Kaibo

You won't starve on Grand Cayman, not even if you stay in Bodden Town or the East End or the Northside!

Last edited:
Well... 2 days till we head out. Got the necessities squared away I think. We are diving a number of dives with Ocean Frontiers throughout the week, we have a snorkel stingray city boat setup - pretty sure it will just be the six of us so pretty much a charter. I asked him how long we'd spend at stingray city vs the other two snorkeling spots and his reply "how ever long you want". Nice! That is with Brad over at Cayman University. We're planning that around the low time of cruise ships in port so that should be good. That same day we'll head over to that side of the island and two of us will do a shore dive. Pretty sure we're going to do Turtle Reef; seems like there's a nice Tiki Bar and restaurant there for the non-divers to may be check out? The other option would be to do Lighthouse Point instead... not sure

Thanks to everyone for their insight and help. VERY much appreciated!!

That same day we'll head over to that side of the island and two of us will do a shore dive. Pretty sure we're going to do Turtle Reef; seems like there's a nice Tiki Bar and restaurant there for the non-divers to may be check out? The other option would be to do Lighthouse Point instead... not sure

Lighthouse Point and Turtle Reef are about 500 yards apart, I don't know how much time you are planning but you can easily get a dive in at both locations in less than half a day.

And yes Macabuca, the 'tiki bar' located at Turtle Reef is great. My go to bar for a drink and a bite. If you're there on a Monday, they have a big unlimited BBQ and all night happy hour :)

Enjoy your trip and post a report. Have an order of cracked conch and beer for all of us if you go to Turtle Reef.

@FindingMenno That will definitely be a consideration (both shore dives). And thank you for posting that video. My wife (non-diver) already knows where she'll be sitting and watching our bubbles from! Funny you mentioned Monday's... that's when we're scheduled to be over on that side of the island to visit that area!

@tkaelin Absolutely!

@1000RR Well excellent timing in that case! I'm off Monday so I'm probably not at Lighthouse Point, but you might find me having a sunset beer at Macabuca!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom