Planning June, 2018 Trip to GC - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cayman is expensive that's the bottom line.

One thing to take into account is that there is NO tax on any purchases I guess depending on where you come from that could matter....I am in NY we get taxed on everything and I do mean everything.

Cayman is expensive that's the bottom line.

One thing to take into account is that there is NO tax on any purchases I guess depending on where you come from that could matter....I am in NY we get taxed on everything and I do mean everything.

Good point, you don't pay taxes on things like groceries or restaurant meals - but you are taxed 13% on accommodations, but most resorts, condos, hotels just include that in the price quotes.

But when someone is telling you how cheap it is to go to Roatan, or elsewhere in Honduras, keep in mind that there is a 19% tax on accommodations - and it usually isn't rolled in to the quoted price, or at least that has been my experience - and the airfare can be very pricey, too.

There is NO import tax/vat on imported cameras and camera equipment as told by Jason from Ambassador that's a plus.

I found if you shop wisely in the States even with importing goods you come out ahead rather than shopping on island this is after 2 complete furnishings of 2 bedroom condo

BUT bottom line Cayman is Expensive !!

Grand Cayman can easily be done on a budget:

Come low season
Rent a condo with 1-2 other couples rather than a hotel room
Eat some meals at home
Purchase your potables from the liquor store and consume on your patio rather than going to a bar
Frequent lees expensive restaurants and look for all you can eat nights/BBQs
Do some shore diving
Boat dive with the same op all week so as to get a discount
Car rentals are one of the few bargains on the island

Roatan, Bonaire, Coz may all be a little cheaper but all in all, you get what you pay for. The quality of the diving, safety and civility of the Cayman Islands more than make up for the additional costs.

If you don't want to travel with others, you can find nice, one-bedroom condos and apartments that are less expensive, although they are not as common as the bigger units.

We always buy liquor at the duty-free shops in the airport before we leave the US. Each adult can bring in 1 liter of alcohol duty-free, and that helps with the expense.

The part of the island where you decide to stay is a big factor in the cost, the Seven Mile Beach area is the most expensive - for good reason - but lovely water side and beach front accommodations can be found elsewhere at lower prices. You have to be willing to drive on the left if you decide to rent away from 7MB or George Town, but rental car prices are usually quite reasonable.

Last edited:
There are a lot of fun places to visit, things to do, and great restaurants on Grand Cayman, and if you decide to take advantage of some of those options then the expense will increase - but hey, you're on vacation!

But as others have said, there are nice but less pricey options that will let you have a great vacation and excellent Caribbean diving. And if you mostly just want to "eat, sleep, and dive" then there are lower cost, great diving opportunities to do just that!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom