Planning June, 2018 Trip to GC - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the Wall Divers will do a single tank on the KW and OF runs one once a week.

Thanks for the information @Divetech Cayman! Those were two shore dives I had been reading about, so thanks for mentioning those as well. I had also heard of one closer to the port area (Devils Grotto or Eden?) but had read it has seen better days. Then I had read that schools of some silvers might be in the area around that time (June) and might be pretty cool?

Also, on your Stingray City dive/snorkel - do you drop the snorkelers off near the shallower area so they can stand w/the stingrays or is that pretty far away from where the divers would be?

Hi @1000RR, Devils Grotto an Eden are indeed closer to town and you would need to contact the on-site operator (Eden Rock) to organise those dives. In summertime there are indeed silversides there, although June might be a bit on the early side.

We indeed also have a statue at our Lighthouse Point reef, the ‘Guardian of the Reef’ located right in front of our dive shop. For more information please see our shore diving page. Lighthouse Point reef was recently voted one of the 10 best shore dives you can do!

For our Stingray City combined dive and snorkel, it will be done at the same 12-15 feet deep location. Our guides will ensure that both can interact with the stingrays by leading them to both groups.

We also run regular 1-tank Kittiwake trips in the afternoon. However as Stingray City and the Kittiwake are on opposite sides of the NW side they’re too far apart to combine in one afternoon.

If you’re looking for a nice beach which doesn’t get crazy busy, Cemetery beach is my favourite beach. It also has some trees if you like some shade. Was saving up for a house there, unfortunately it just got swooped under my nose for 12.5 million dollars... :wink:

Last edited:
I'd suggest Cayman University Divers for the stingray city dive/snorkel. They are a small op and take only 6 divers. You might be able to have the boat to yourself.

+1 for diving Devli's Groto and the silversides. Line up a private guide and go out before anyone else is there. Here are videos of it
Grand Cayman - shiningseastudio

http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Grand-Cayman/i-B9qmvg8
Wow! Awesome pics!! What month were those taken? We will be there 2nd week of June. Also, where would one go/call to set up a guide? The swim throughs look REALLY cool. But maybe we'll see some of those if we're diving the East side too?

If swim thrus are an interest talk with the folks at OF as they regularly go to a couple sites that have awesome swim throughs. Maggies Maze comes to mind as one of them. If you plan on doing Eden Rock, my advice (again) is go when there is no cruise ships in and Sundays works best. On a Sunday, especially in the AM the downtown is empty and quite. Easy to drive in and out.

Thank you for the kind comments.
Those videos and pics were taken the first week of July. Check with the Eden Rock dive shop for a guide and if the silversides are there when you are there. They are usually in the area in June.
The guides only get a small amount of the cost of the private guide tour so be certain to tip them well if they give you good service.
I loved it so much I did the private guide thing a second day. I will do it each time I visit GC in summer.

There are nice swim throughs on the east side as well but not as long. There can also be silversides on the east side but not usually as many in one place. I would expect tarpons on the east side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom