PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While you may be reconsidering that, my ACR 2881 PLB and nylon canister & brass bolt clamp weigh 17¼ ounces, hang on a D-ring out of my way. I suspect that it's the cost that discourages most, as the PLBs have gone up to around $290, the canister around $110, plus the bolt clamp I had to add. Good for 5 or 6 years tho with a little silicone grease and a couple of o-ring replacements. Then $100+ for battery service. I carry it everywhere, in car, tractor, hiking pack, dive canister. Renewing the registration every other year is so easy; NOAA emails me, I click a link, then click that everything's still the same, and they send me a new sticker.

Now if I ever have to use it, I'll send it in with a good story, and they'll send me a new one for free. Here's one of their rescue stories I picked at random: Paraglider Crash Gets Rescued in 45 Minutes thanks to ResQLink
What canister do you use? Looking into the same plb vue cant fins a decent canister

Does anyone know what kind of DSMB Cameron has? A buoy with SOLAS (Safety Of Life At Sea) Radar reflective tape would dramatically extend the range he could be detected -- providing people know to monitor their Radar. @Captain Tim and I did some tests on the DAN 6' Signaling Sausage. To my great surprise, he could easily spot it at over 5 miles/8 KM on his radar aboard a 42' Newton.
Unfortunately they are bulkier than most of us like to carry; a compromise I am reconsidering at this moment.

Hello Akimbo,
I had the same issue I compromised with a solas sticker from divesigns which is a UK company, stuck on the top part of my DSMBs both the orange and the yellow. It is customized with my initials and my phone number, so if found floating at sea I can be contacted before a full search and rescue effort is launched. The sticker is thick but it is smaller. It is also true that it is less radar cross section but the bit that counts is the bit out and high on the water ...
This is paired with my PLB in a -150 canister, but I have to admit I am not extremely consistent in carrying it along. Only in riskier dives. Maybe I will reconsider. In MED Sea though current are more benign .... being lost at sea is one of my greatest fears.
For those wondering what PLB and Canister I use an ACR and I did buy a Narked at 90 canister but apparently they do not sell it anymore ...

Cheers

Fabio

All the ones being discussed, besides Nautilus, are essentially miniature EPIRBs. They are 406 MHz satellite based, like an EPIRB, and send the same signal as an EPIRB.
Thank you Seeker242.

Back
Top Bottom