Please delete my account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an idea, if technology makes this possible: what if we can go back to an old post and not delete it, but we can add a postscript. For example I post that I am a fan of Nekkid diving. Then I have a “Learning Experience” Dive with a freak current that delivers me to a beach hosting Cub Scout Jamboree. Now I really want to go back and change my position to state my new core belief that everyone should always wear, at least, pants. But there have been a thousand posts to the thread, since my last post, so simply racking on post 1002, is not going to stop people quoting my former, foolish post, which will turn up anytime anyone searches “Nekkid”. Ideally, I should be able to add a Mea Culpa to the exact post location that has the now outdated, and greatly regretted, blithering idiocy.
Thoughts?
In an example like you cite, report the post and explain your line of thinking. We may say "write up your revision and I will post it in your thread as a subsequent thought you've had". And then you could repeat the post at the end of the thread with a link to your original post. It wouldn't be the first time we have done that but the need for this is very, very, very rare.

To just change the post, when seven zillion people have seen and commented on it would destroy the continuity.

I agree with most of what you wrote. But I would note that one way that I (and other mods before and after me) have dealt with this is to delete a series of posts for what I call "bickering". It's that stupid back-and-forth "I'm right/you're wrong" stuff that goes on for a while (5 or 6 posts is my general threshold) that just wearies anyone else trying to follow the discussion. These are nearly always toxic AND off-topic.

- Moderators do not mediate in personal conflicts. If we see one playing out on the open forums we may delete it and ask the participants to take it off line (to take it to PM's) if they must but we never try to make people "get along". If you are having a personal conflict with someone then your best bet is to "ignore" them. There is a function for this if you look through the menus". There is an exception to this. If a user is being stalked by another user (it does happen) then we intervene. We still do not mediate but we make sure the person being stalked is protected.

Last edited:
4964a.jpg

Say, ya know.... this sounds an awful lot like "The Thread That Wouldn't Die".

Last edited:
I don't feel that they were insinuating someone was a dog, but rather, no matter how hard they would try, they would not be able to get that person to grasp that concept.

Yes. This. Thank you. It was an analogy. And what you said here is exactly what I meant.

Is it a little ironic that few people apparently understood what I meant?

And for the record, I can't understand why calling anyone a dog would be insulting. Dogs are the the most loyal, loving, trustworthy, and noble animals on the planet. Life would be grand if humans could strive to emulate dogs (and yes, I'm biased: my GSD is laying on my feet as a write this.)

Life would be grand if humans could strive to emulate dogs (and yes, I'm biased: my GSD is laying on my feet as a write this.)

Perhaps too weird if I were to lie at your feet?

And for the record, I can't understand why calling anyone a dog would be insulting. Dogs are the the most loyal, loving, trustworthy, and noble animals on the planet. Life would be grand if humans could strive to emulate dogs (and yes, I'm biased: my GSD is laying on my feet as a write this.)

People get angry when dogs poop on their front lawn. I think they have a stronger reaction when a person does it.

Yes. This. Thank you. It was an analogy. And what you said here is exactly what I meant.

In many cultures around the world, calling somebody or liking them to a dog is one of the worst insults in these cultures. I think that one needs to be careful and not force their own way of looking at things on other people.

Last edited:

Is it ironic that you find it ironic that people didn't understand what you meant yet you don't seem to understand that people might misunderstand being compared to a dog (no matter how lovable you may find dogs)? Is that ironic ironic (or maybe double secret ironic)? :idk: :)

Last edited:
Yes I did, thanks! It's almost warm enough for me to start diving again this year. I'm thinking of ordering one soon so I can start with the new DC.

Yes I did, thanks! It's almost warm enough for me to start diving again this year. I'm thinking of ordering one soon so I can start with the new DC.

Check your PM.

Back
Top Bottom