Please delete my account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Delete your content" isn't really a working answer, since it doesn't appear that I can remove items (older than 24 hours?) from threads that I didn't originate. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me.
You post on social media, it becomes property of the www and forum.....I suggest you just stay away from social media in total.

While I don't agree with the OPs request and think it's silly for anyone to ask for their history to be deleted because their feefees got hurt... IMO that doesn't really warrant abunch of snide and condescending remarks either...
:wink:

- Jeff

Here is an idea, if technology makes this possible: what if we can go back to an old post and not delete it, but we can add a postscript. For example I post that I am a fan of Nekkid diving. Then I have a “Learning Experience” Dive with a freak current that delivers me to a beach hosting Cub Scout Jamboree. Now I really want to go back and change my position to state my new core belief that everyone should always wear, at least, pants. But there have been a thousand posts to the thread, since my last post, so simply racking on post 1002, is not going to stop people quoting my former, foolish post, which will turn up anytime anyone searches “Nekkid”. Ideally, I should be able to add a Mea Culpa to the exact post location that has the now outdated, and greatly regretted, blithering idiocy.
Thoughts?

I would have never joined if I knew this
Why? If you post something on FB or some other Internet site where you can delete content, it doesn't stop someone from a screen scrape and saving that content forever. Really, if you post something online, you have to accept the fact that it essentially is forever. There are a couple of posts I wish I didn't write. Those, as well as most of all but my most recent comments, are most likely buried except for the most determined to go find and show the light of day again.

How many members are on here? How many comments are generated each day on average? That means a lot of "dirt" covering our comments. Unless someone digs for it, it isn't seen again. I identify myself. Given the uniqueness of my name, it really isn't hard to track me down, including where I live, my phone number, etc..

I won't say I understand fully ScubaBoard's policy for protecting privacy. It is a small world, and many people who try to be anonymous post enough nuggets to determine who they are. And when they get too snarky, they sometimes get exposed. Sure, mods can delete it, but for that moment in time, it is out there. And people remember unusual and extreme situations. "Damage control" is never 100%.

If someone really wants to remain anonymous, they should stick to just lurking, or avoid confrontations. If someone has no such fear, fire away as you please (just try not to get banned). I think even my worst posts, I wouldn't be too concerned if a potential employer read them.

While I don't agree with the OPs request and think it's silly for anyone to ask for their history to be deleted because their feefees got hurt... IMO that doesn't really warrant abunch of snide and condescending remarks either...
:wink:

- Jeff
IDK. If you put yourself out there as a drama queen you got to expect some negative repercussions.

Back
Top Bottom