Please help sort out BPW options.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan:
06.gif
I've been doing a little research on BP wing options and come up with the following short list. I am inclined towards option 3 but would appreciate any input.

3. Deepsea Supply plate and harness, OMS STA, OMS Signature wing
$563
30lb wing, plastic back plate, Hog harness
+ O’ shaped wing AND Favorite back plate, all looks well made
- May have compatibility issues, getting pricier

Grajan, I think you have made a typo. Your text says OMS wing, but the link is to the Oxycheq. I am going to assume that you have the link correct and the text wrong. That being the case the DSS plate and the Oxycheq wing make a nice choice.

You have indicated that you use little to no extra lead, so the DSS plastic plate would do nicely. I have one and use it for doubles. It has carried LP 104's and Genesis HP120's without any problems so a single aluminum 80 should not present any difficulty. You have expressed some reservations about aluminum plates. If you are really worried about it then get the DSS plate if for no other reason than it will allow you to sleep well at night.

I like a "round" wing rather than a horseshoe shape for single tank diving, but Tobins plate is so good I have all of the faith in the world that his wings are excellent.

All of your choices indicate a Hogarthian harness, I think this is an excellent choice.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

I did indeed confuse Oxycheq with OMS (novice BP Winger....).

It is clear that there are no strong objections to any of the rigs so I will just have to make my mind up. It is a pity so little of this stuff is carried by LDS' as I really like to touch this sort of thing before I buy it.

Mark Vlahos:
Grajan, I think you have made a typo. Your text says OMS wing, but the link is to the Oxycheq. I am going to assume that you have the link correct and the text wrong. That being the case the DSS plate and the Oxycheq wing make a nice choice.

Mark Vlahos

Very interresting design, although I'm having problems envision where the wing would go with the Blackart plate.

With normal STAs it would go between the STA and the plate, with the STA and the plate being one part... where does the wing go?

Same place it does when using the "STA-less" Pioneer.

Sandwiched between the tank and the backplate. Plate contour -> wing fabric -> tank. With a standard Pioneer you have plate -> wing fabric -> plastic rods -> wing fabric -> tank and that works fine.

You might also want to consider OMS's offering in your performance/price calculations as they have nice backplates with optional pad/pocket, and a pretty rugged non-bungeed 32lbs O-wing.

http://www.omsdive.com/news.html

I put together a pretty nice warm-water single take setup that was more $ than a similar DiveRite configuration but less than a Halycon (i.e., DiveRite hog harness and cambands, OMS backplate, OMS pad, OMS 32lbs non-bungeed U-wing...I'd go with the O-wing now, though).

You'll have to add the 1) "mountain-bike inner tube" rubberbands to your harness straps, the 2)"inflator-hose bungee keeper", and
the 3) "harness strap keepers" (that go behind the BP where the waist straps exit the BP) yourself. I believe Halycon gear comes with these pre-installed, though.

Good luck,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom