please help! work and dive in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody!!

I been lookin online for some information to work and scuba dive in the gulf of Thailand but as of yet, I haven't found to much.
I plan to be in the gulf of Thailand in about 2 or 3 weeks. I don't have a lot of money but I've heard it may be possible to work at a scuba shop in exchange for free or cheap certifications. Perhaps accomodation as well?

If anybody has any contacts at all or information on where it might be best to pursue something like this, please let me know.

I have my open water certification and would like to pursue the intructor certifications. I would even be willing to sign a contract for working after I get my instructors certification.

Any information is appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Most people in your situation in thailand would sign on for an IDC internship, on such a course you dont receive cheap or free certifications, you actually have to pay a considerable amount of money to then work as 'paying' labour for around 6 months in return for your certifications. Sometimes I have even known people to be lead to believe they will have a job at the end of the course, simply to get them to commit.
My advice would be to steer well clear of such a system, continue your diver training at your own speed and at a variety of places and the end result will be a better experienced, more acomplished instructor.
There are so many instructors/divemasters in Thailand, it is never easy, even when qualified to find a good full time position in diving, particularly during the low tourist season.

I think you are better off doing a divemaster course/internship and working a season before considering becoming an instructor. Earning a pittance as a DM I think is better than paying to do an instructor internship.

You will pay for it all one way or another. One shop here does free internships, but of course, you get no pay whilst you're "working" it off. If you pay, then you could go onto freelance earning whilst there is work. Plenty of work here now as we're into high season.

Very difficult to get that kind of deal I think. We offered something similar at the beginning of the season but only for people who had something extra to offer us in return.

As of now we have DM interns who speak Thai and have marine biology degrees. Very useful.

My advice would be to do your training at home, certainly in my case I experienced far higher standards at a lesser cost than I did on my recent holiday.
Maybe then you would have a little something more to offer than your average cloned instructor, and increase your chances of securing gainfull employment.

My advice, some of the best training to be had in the world is in Thailand. I spent 3+ months doing rescue to DM with Lanta Diver. I do not have a single negative thing to say about them nor my experience. I had quality instruction, that was both patient and rigorous. The staff was professional and the equipment the best i've ever rented. By far the best operation I have ever dived with. That may not mean much given my limited diving experience, but we frequently had well traveled customers mention that it was the best run shop they've ever been with. I have also nothing but positive experience with the other dive shops on Koh Lanta. And have had nothing but good experiences in Phi Phi and Phuket as well, though as a fun diver.

That one person has had a negative experience with an incomplete set of dive shops in one city in Thailand, does not make all of Thailand unsafe, unprofessional nor unsatisfactory in diver education. That months after departure, people continue to cast sweeping negative generalizations of diving in all of Thailand, I believe is more telling of the person than of the diving experience.

Here we go again.
You can have your opinion as long as it agrees with mine.
what you experienced did not really happen.
Sorry Penguintom, if you dare to speak what I dare say is the truth, as I have found you will become unpopular on here.
But who gives a f.

:hijack:

The Thai forum is always good for :dramaqueen: and in-fighting :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom