Please read story and answer questions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might look at buying/leasing a boat...

money-shredder.jpg

jtthompson4, There have been threads about this in various forms in the past. Several mentioned, and you agree, that you didn't research making a living at it enough. I agree with you on the word "professional" in that the most basic meaning of it is that you get paid. Some have argued that it is an attitude--ei. you are being professional. Divemastering for tips or free because of loving diving and teaching is just a pet peeve of mine. It undermines anyone wanting to do the improbable and make a living in the TEACHING end of diving. Commercial diving is another story (if you're young enough)--they actually DO diving for a very nice living--for a few years (though an instructor once told me the only problem with it is that you tend to die). I'm not sure how you managed to spend 10K on courses, equipment, etc. in becoming a DM. Doubt I've spent anywhere near that in 9 years. But speaking of the money aspect of the business, I agree with several here that it is a leisure--"fun" thing and the cost for (OW) courses eventually reflects this. Courses now are mostly short and cheap-- and most don't include rescue skills like they apparently did decades ago (another pet peeve). WOULD people pay a lot more to get certified? I don't know. Maybe a lot wouldn't, so there would be fewer dive shops and instructors, but both may fare better that they do now. Who knows--doubt that will ever happen. How about Instructors &/or DMs unionizing across agency lines? Anyway, I hope things eventually work out well for you.

Other option is Commercial Diving.......but you would be starting from scratch with a huge cost for course and not guaranteed a job.Also completely different from Rec. diving you really don't get to look at the pretty fish it is a demanding job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom