Please try this test on your fins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmmm

Ahhh, HEY! HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS!!!!! :drunks:

I don't see how there is ANY scientific relation between flipping your fin in the air and efficiency in the water.

Now, there was a study at UB CRESE lab that did test the performance of different designs of fins. They did controlled tests using a wide range of subjects and measured work output, energy used, and the effcency of the system.
They did conclude that the split fin designs where more efficent then the paddle fins tested. Here is a link to there web site.
CRESE : Case Studies

So maybe if you did some scientific testing rather then throwing your fins around I would be more impressed.

there is nothing scientific about the demonstration. the point of the demo is to show the rebound characteristics of the material. The science behind it should be obvious though, as you kick against a fin it will flex, this flexing action requires energy that should be stored as potential energy as spring loading. Unfortunately other fins use materials that have such poor rebound they absorb all of this energy and it is lost to the diver. But Force Fins are different, using a material that is equally stiff but springs back with propulsive force, releasing the stored energy and using it to propel you forward.

This effect was proven at the University of Buffalo who stated "Throughout the test, divers could achieve a maximum sustainable speed of 40 meters per minute with any fin. However, they burned less air when wearing Force Fins. Interestingly, all 200 participants, when surveyed for their subjective opinion, believed that the longest, stiffest fin, that which they felt was most powerful, was also the most efficient, but their actual oxygen consumption levels showed the opposite to be true."

does that mean that everyone should be using them... maybe, maybe not. are they the best fins available, I say yes, but that comes from years of subjective testing and the data still shows that except at extraordinary effort levels there is little difference. But when it does get wicked, I know my Force Fins will get me through and more than once have rescued people wearing Jets, Splits, and plenty of others.

I can't actually find the review that you claim from CRESE, the link says they did a study but no write-up. Check out the Rubicon Library for the write-ups performed by UofBuffalo that they clearly show that the best Split fin on the market can be improved by taping the split closed.

I 've never used this fin, can't say anything about them, but; I'm kinda like awap. I don't understand what this demonstrates. My PADI card will flip a few feet in the air when I fold it and let it go. I'm not diving with them on my feet just because they are stiff and snappy. I tend not to kick that hard either. Not knocking the product, I'm just slow on this demo!

Meet me at either Philly or LochLowMinn some time and you can try a couple of differnt styles (depending upon your shoe size) - then you can make up your own mind. The great thing about FFs is they are easy to kick and provide more performance for the effort. You just have to feel the effect that the snappy/rebound has to appreciate it.

I had to give up paddle fins because of my knees - tried several types of splits - finally settled on Apollo's as the best of the bunch - then was introduced to FFs by an Instructor in St. Lucia. I have found that they are easy on the knees like splits (almost feel like splits), but perform more like paddles. Take a little getting used to, unless you were a competitive swimmer, but IMHO given a little time, they are the best of all worlds.

They are not cheap - but you will have to make up your mind if the performance is worth the price (some folks like Ferraris, some are happy with BMWs, and some just want basic transportation and choose KIAs) - IMHO fins are the same. - you make your choice and pay your $$$.

Thank you all for your posts and feedback. The response is much welcomed! Design and materials share equal parts in making a Force Fin a smart fin. When you watch a Force Fin at the end of the down stroke you can see the blade snap and then rebound back to the original shape.
When you put a load on your fins, they flex. When the load is released what happens?
Some fins I have used have just been like boards on my feet because the design and materials used would only allow me to push them through the water and not “Snap them into the Zone” just was no return on the blade after flexing it.
foot_vs_foot.jpg

I have heard Matt Ferraro, Director of Photography for Ocean Futures Society, say to me more than once “When I really need thrust I snap my Force Fins into the zone and I am gone.” Clark the Shark knew about “Snapping into the Zone” and many a Force Fin users out there understand the “Snap Zone”
For short bursts of thrust -when I am lighting for a static shot or fitting a large ship’s prop onto the ship’s shaft via multiple block and tackle I can simply flick my Force Fins and the rebound the blade goes through to get back the original shape translates to maximum thrust I have never felt in any other fin.

All fins work,but how do they work for you?
pro_vs_paddle.jpg

Meet me at either Philly or LochLowMinn some time and you can try a couple of differnt styles (depending upon your shoe size) - then you can make up your own mind. The great thing about FFs is they are easy to kick and provide more performance for the effort. You just have to feel the effect that the snappy/rebound has to appreciate it...
Thanks for the offer TN Traveler! :)
I wouldn't mind meeting up to dive sometime. I almost always frog kick and from the video and looks of the fin, I don't know that they would help. Maybe see ya up there this year? I'm waiting on my drysuit I ordered, so I'll be diving there more often during the colder months. :coffee:

Irishsquid, I have never been into frog kicking, but this recent hockey fin model made me enjoy the forward spring after using a frog kick. I do feel this model will change how fast one can go frog kicking. If I get a extra pair to send out for your comments I will let you know. Thanks for your interest and comments, Best, Bob

{QUOTE}Thanks for the offer TN Traveler!
I wouldn't mind meeting up to dive sometime. I almost always frog kick and from the video and looks of the fin, I don't know that they would help. Maybe see ya up there this year? I'm waiting on my drysuit I ordered, so I'll be diving there more often during the colder months. [/QUOTE]

Irishsquid, I have never been into frog kicking, but this recent hockey fin model made me enjoy the forward spring after using a frog kick. I do feel this model will change how fast one can go frog kicking. If I get a extra pair to send out for your comments I will let you know. Thanks for your interest and comments, Best, Bob

Bob

Since I will have a pair of the hockey fins, he will be able to try mine. I would love to let him try the TDEXFFs, but mine are just XL and probably would not fit a pair of dry-suit boots - but if we get together during warmer weather when a wet-suit is OK - mine might fit (if I haven't sold them). And it is not likely it will be in real cold water since I don't dive a dry-suit. :wink:

I do frog kick quite a bit - and the TDEXFFs are already excellent for that plus they are outstanding for those times when you have to flutter kick into a current. That's why I love them - they let you do any kick and don't wear you out when you need to kick hard - plus, with the wings turned out, they do a wicked back kick. :D

Irishsquid- I like to frog kick also. Messier42 loaned my his for a dive last week, they worked great frog kicking. They have a lower profile in the water, so less drag and boy, were they comfortable. If you read more thru the site, you'll get more of an idea of what's behind Bob's little test. And, hey you get to come on here and ask him ( the Force Fin President ) questions.

I almost always frog kick and from the video and looks of the fin, I don't know that they would help.

that's because you have never tried a fin like this for a frog kick. a couple weeks ago I was diving with a guy frog kicking in Jets (or maybe they were Turtles, I don't remember) but the point is, for every 2 kicks he made, I needed 1 to keep up. It all comes from the snap/rebound of the fin.

Blair, Thank you putting up Clark the Shark swimming like a aqua-Angel, tonight I am listening to a tape we purchase with clark in San Diego walking after dinner, we heard the group "Playa Montana" I was very fortunate to have spent time with him, kind of like getting ready for Monday with you Blair Mott.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom