Plura, Norway: Body recovery operation started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the full article on paper last evening, and it was surprisingly well-written and free from sensationalism and errors for a tabloid article. Except for the fact that the journalist consequently wrote "oxygen" instead of diving gas...
Indeed and to the journalists defense (damn those are rare words to use) they probably DID bring oxygen bottles as well for a dive like that..

Yep. However, I'm pretty certain they didn't bring oxygen for bailout at depth (which is how I interpreted the text) :) Oh well, it just seems that every journalist is hellbent on calling SCUBA tanks "oxygen tanks"...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Those who read the article, can they please post what equipment was used for the successfull recovery and what equipment (if stated in the article) was used at the time of the accident by the deceased and by the survivors.

Some equipment may naturally require O2 being carried at depth for its proper functioning, so maybe the journalist was not entirely off track when referring to O2 in the article body.

Those who read the article, can they please post what equipment was used for the successfull recovery and what equipment (if stated in the article) was used at the time of the accident by the deceased and by the survivors.
I can't remember any seeing any technical specs for the gear in the article. Which really isn't surprising, given the fact that this is a major tabloid newspaper writing to the common public, and gear specs is way too geeky for their core audience.

What was said was pretty much what the reports earlier has said. They where using rebreathers, they had extra rebreathers, they carried OC bailout in addition and they where using scooters. Its not much details beyond that, although rebreather divers (which Im not) might be able to recognize which types are in some of the pics...

Those who read the article, can they please post what equipment was used for the successfull recovery
Wild guess: JJ-CCR. Sami Paakkarinen - FINLAND - INSTRUCTORS/DEALERS - JJ-CCR

Some equipment may naturally require O2 being carried at depth for its proper functioning, so maybe the journalist was not entirely off track when referring to O2 in the article body.
It's possible, but it's not not very probable.

From the article:

p.22 (about team 1's gear):
Patrik og Jari benytter lukket pustesystem, såkalte rebreathere ("gjenpustere"). En rebreather resirkulerer utåndingsluften, fjerner den giftige kulldioksiden som kroppen produserer, og reduserer surstoffmengden de bærer med seg. I tillegg har de ekstra surstofftank og reserve rebreather.

(Patrik and Jari are using a closed breathing system, called "rebreathers". A rebreather recirculates the exhaust air, removes the poisonous carbon dioxide the body produces, and reduces the oxygen amount they're carrying (sic!). In addition to this, they're carrying an extra oxygen tank and a backup rebreather)

p.22 (about the first fatality):
det er ikke tvil om at Jari begynner å få panikk. Han sier at han vil bytte surstoff og går over til den vanlige surstofftanken.

(there's no doubt Jari is panicking. He says he wants to change oxygen (sic!) and bails out to the ordinary oxygen tank)

p.24 (about Diver 3 passing Diver 2's dead body in the restriction):
Å ta av surstofftankene er noe en dykker kanskje kan gjøre på ti meters dyp, med fri sikt over. Men 112 meter under vann, to kilometer inne i fjellet, i stummende mørke? Det gjør du bare ikke. Likevel har Vesa gjort det.

(Doffing the oxygen tanks is something a diver might do at ten meters' dept, with no overhead. 112 meters below the surface, two kilometers into the mountain, in total darkness? You just don't do it. Still, Vesa did it)

p.29 (about the preparations for the recovery operation):
På begge operasjonsstedene plasserer egne dykkerteam ut ekstra surstofilasker, henholdsvis på 6 meter, 21 meter, 56 meter, 75 meter, 90 meter og 100 meters dyp. Til sammen 26 flasker i Steinugleflåget, og 24 flasker fra Plurasiden.

(At both places, diving teams deposit extra oxygen tanks, at 6 meters, 21 meters, 56 meters, 75 meters, 90 meters and 100 meters depth. A total of 26 tanks in Steinugleflåget, and 24 tanks from the Plura side)

I can't remember any seeing any technical specs for the gear in the article. Which really isn't surprising, given the fact that this is a major tabloid newspaper writing to the common public, and gear specs is way too geeky for their core audience.

So, one of the deceased, Jari Mika Tapi Huotarinen, was diving using an equipment called "Inspiration."

The other deceased, Jari Usimäki, instead we do not know yet what equipment he was using.

Cool, I didnt expect google translate to be able to do the interactive graphics, but it does ineed and it seems to be a more than understandable translation too :)

Back
Top Bottom