PNG Scubabboarders 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
go for it. keep in mind the cheapest fare I could find for bali was about 1400 and we got tickets for 688 from a wholesaler here. As the dates get closer, the fare drops. This far out it is probably not accurate...put in this year and see what you get.

cdiver, I am afraid to ask....what did this trip cost you? mas o menos?

We spent 4 days in Cairns then flew to East New Briton for 7 days, back to Cairns and stayed one night then a 4 day liveaboard to the Coral sea. Back to Cairns for 5 days.
Cost for two $10,000 not including air fare US-Cairns (frequent flyer)

when I lay dying, will I think about this trip? (laughing...)

catherine96821:
when I lay dying, will I think about this trip? (laughing...)

Quantas usually fly LA-Cairns $2000 but they keep coming up with specials $1000

Was Aggressor an option? I can't remember if they do PNG or not. They offer discounts, free stuff for travel agents and sometimes the agent can take a friend or two for the same rate. (my dive buddy is a travel agent, so this would be good)

You coming Jcsgt? I can check through a travel wholesaler.

I'm seriously considering it, depending on what the final cost comes out to be and if you guys will have me and my buddy. It sounds like you guys are putting together a very nice trip!

Jcsgt:
Are there only certain days of the weeks when there are flights in and out? I'm trying to get an idea of airfare out of Portland by entering projected dates (in June, of course) for arrival and departure.

No.
From Portland you will likely fly to Brisbane then to Port Moresby (POM). There is a flight a day.
Then, current schedules for Air Niugini are at http://www.airniugini.com.pg/timetable/index.htm
For Kimbe you then fly to Hoskins (HKN). There is a flight every day.
For Tawali you then fly to Alotau (GUR). There is a flight every day.

Note that in POM you transfer from the international to the national aiirport by going out and walking 2 min. If you have to wait, take the Airways shuttle and wait at the hotel, you will be more comfortable. There is no AC in the national airport and only old hard chairs.

So there should be no problem in travelling, aside from matching connections.
JL

Thanks, guys, this sounds like a blast!

Guess I'd better get serious about selling my property!

homo maris:
No.
From Portland you will likely fly to Brisbane then to Port Moresby (POM). There is a flight a day.
Then, current schedules for Air Niugini are at http://www.airniugini.com.pg/timetable/index.htm
For Kimbe you then fly to Hoskins (HKN). There is a flight every day.
For Tawali you then fly to Alotau (GUR). There is a flight every day.

Note that in POM you transfer from the international to the national aiirport by going out and walking 2 min. If you have to wait, take the Airways shuttle and wait at the hotel, you will be more comfortable. There is no AC in the national airport and only old hard chairs.

So there should be no problem in travelling, aside from matching connections.
JL

I had no problems at the domestic terminal other than loud Americans and the BIG one no toilet paper in the whole airport, be warned take TOILET PAPER. One other thing DO NOT use the toilets at Hoskins that's all I am going to say about it, you have been warned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom