Political Advertising in my signature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am starting to notice that members have political ads in their signatures. Is this a violation of the SB rules? Seems like it would be to me. I am all for people's rights to vote for their ticket but really, this seems a can of worms we shouldn't open here. What comes next? Pro or anti-abortion ads?

Honestly this is the last place I wanna be reminded of politics. I come here to escape it actually. This is exactly why I don't visit scubadiving.com anymore. If I wanted to know who someone was voting for I would ask them or go to a political web site.

Thanks, and I hope this was the right place to post my concerns. I'm really not looking to start a debate. If I were, I would add a political banner to my signature.:wink:

As far as political adds goes, I actually agree. The place for such things here on the board is "The Pub" - And yep, there is a few political debates in there :p

As far as political adds goes, I actually agree. The place for such things here on the board is "The Pub" - And yep, there is a few political debates in there :p

Yeah, it's fine in the pub. But LEAVE IT THERE.

Agreed. Actually I find all signatures annoying so have turned them off in the User Control panel - just a tip in case anyone else would find this useful and doesnt know about it.

Political statements in signatures are not against the TOS. If you see a signature that you believe does violate TOS, then please report it.

Signatures are personal statements that reflect something about the member. You might agree, disagree, object or not care - but as long as they don't cross TOS, they can exist. They aren't open for discussion (you could always PM the member, of course) in the forums.

If you don't like signatures, Geoff's advice to turn them off is great! For those, like me, who don't mind signatures, just learn to ignore the ones that rub you the wrong way :wink:

Agreed. Actually I find all signatures annoying so have turned them off in the User Control panel - just a tip in case anyone else would find this useful and doesnt know about it.

So, THAT'S how you get rid of those annoying bugs crawling around the screen.

Political statements in signatures are not against the TOS. If you see a signature that you believe does violate TOS, then please report it.

Signatures are personal statements that reflect something about the member. You might agree, disagree, object or not care - but as long as they don't cross TOS, they can exist. They aren't open for discussion (you could always PM the member, of course) in the forums.

If you don't like signatures, Geoff's advice to turn them off is great! For those, like me, who don't mind signatures, just learn to ignore the ones that rub you the wrong way :wink:

Thanks for the reply Alcina.:wink:

It doesn't make sense to me at all that political ads are allowed. It just seems to invite a discussion when a discussion of a political nature isn't allowed here right? Except in the pub anyway right?

Thanks for the tip on how to turn them off. Btw, I like signatures. Just not one's endorsing presidential tickets. It's like waiving candy in front of a baby when the baby isn't allowed to eat it.

So could I endorse say SATAN FOR PRESIDENT in my signature without violating the rules?:devil::blessing: JJ:wink:

My vote is for no discussion or signatures talking about the big three...Politics, Religion, and HER. That's a country song I think.:eyebrow:

Seriously though, thanks for your response and time.:D

Thanks for the reply Alcina.:wink:
It just seems to invite a discussion when a discussion of a political nature isn't allowed here right? Except in the pub anyway right?

Seriously though, thanks for your response and time.:D

No problem...

...signatures aren't open for discussion in the forums btw :wink:

It just seems to invite a discussion when a discussion of a political nature isn't allowed here right? Except in the pub anyway right?
I'm not even sure about that. I just read through the TOS and can't find the prohibition about politics at all anymore. Maybe I missed it.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom