POLL: What was your first dive computer and would you buy it again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox does not equate to deep diving..... You said "Even if you don't dive deep. Nitrox....." Diving deep is not a reason to select Nitrox, if fact it is the opposite..... thats why there is MOD......

Additionally, while I'm indifferent to the "I feel better on Nitrox" position, you gave me a new one with "Nitrox cures dry mouth"...... :confused6:

I appreciate your passion. Its an awesome sport.

Orca Phoenix dive computer and It works

Nitrox does not equate to deep diving..... You said "Even if you don't dive deep. Nitrox....." Diving deep is not a reason to select Nitrox, if fact it is the opposite..... thats why there is MOD......

Additionally, while I'm indifferent to the "I feel better on Nitrox" position, you gave me a new one with "Nitrox cures dry mouth"...... :confused6:

I appreciate your passion. Its an awesome sport.

Easy to see that he's a new diver, so 60-100 feet is deep to him. Ideal Nitrox depths, right? Maybe you should limit your posts to ones that are useful.

Nitrox does not equate to deep diving.

Well, it's already been said, but yeah, to me and the OP, Nitrox is much better for the dives we would get certified for by taking the Deep Diver course. And I've had the comment made to me that Nitrox is pointless if you're only diving to 30-40 feet. Thus what I said to the OP.

First had a matrix don't even know the manufacturer.
Now I would not buy anything other then AI air integrated for my first computer.
Include Nitrox if you are really hook on diving.

I just put in an order for an Oceanic Geo 2.0. It will be my first computer.
So excited!

I was considering Suunto or Oceanic. Seems to the more popular brand for entry level. But many people say that Suunto is very conservative, which isn't a bad thing, but I prefer to be able to choose the algorithm myself.

I didn't want a puck size computer. I only dive while on vacation, so I do not want to have to worry about attracting attention by wearing a massive dive computer. Don't want it stolen.

Last edited:
I think you're asking the wrong question if you're looking to buy your first computer. Perhaps it should be "What would you recommend as a good/the best first computer for someone starting out????

Yes, I suppose I could have asked that, but wouldn't that have been rather boring (and not unlike many MANY other threads on here)? I'm more interested in people's experiences and the decisions they made. There must have been a reason why people thought certain things would work better and then perhaps realized they were not. I like to gain those insights by asking people about what they bought and why they would or wouldn't repeat that purchase. Just a personal preference I suppose.

And besides, it opens the door to people teaching me all sorts of other things I hadn't considered. :)

My first comp was an Aeris XR1. A good basic computer that did everything I needed at the time, as a recreational diver. Then I got nitrox certified so I got an XR1 NX. A good basic computer that does everything a recreational diver needs. I wanted the XR1 as a backup anyway.

I'm basically kind of cheap, don't like bells and whistles, and at my age I know I'm not going the tech route, so yes, I would buy another XR1 NX based on it features (but it does eat batteries).

Scuba Pro Aladin Prime (which came free with my first set of equipment)

Later I replaced it with a Scubapro 2G which I definitely would buy again :)
Same here (except "free with the first set of equipment" would be inaccurate).
I would, in hindsight NOT get the Prime as my first computer again as it missed two features that has been nagging me a bit - freshwater and altitude modes.
It ISNT strictly neccesary to have those features, but I would rather get a computer that have them - and thats called the Scubapro 2G, which is really nothing but an updated aladin prime :)

Back
Top Bottom