Pony Bottle Regulator Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Folks,

I'm satisfied with the rig itself (based on DIR literature) , but how to secure (and have quick deployment) the regulator has always been sub-optimal in my opinion. The tank resides on my left side, and I secure the second stage via a hose clip at the top of the tank. A flexible band secures the hose near the bottom of the tank. I'm looking for solutions that secure the regulator differently at the top of the tank, but still allow for smooth, quick deployment.

Thanks,

David

... I'm looking for solutions that secure the regulator differently at the top of the tank...
Why?
If we can figure out what you don't like about the way you have it rigged (which sounds ok, but a picture might help) perhaps one of us rigs things in a way you'd like better :)
Rick

Why?
If we can figure out what you don't like about the way you have it rigged (which sounds ok, but a picture might help) perhaps one of us rigs things in a way you'd like better :)
Rick

The plastic hose clip I'm using now is not very secure - the hose detaches too easily. Just curious what others do besides this or an extra flexible band at the top of the tank. Can get pictures later - about to go to bed.

The plastic hose clip I'm using now is not ve?ry secure - the hose detaches too easily. Just curious what others do besides this or an extra flexible band at the top of the tank. Can get pictures later - about to go to bed.

A plastic clip? Really?

The plastic hose clip I'm using now is not very secure - the hose detaches too easily. Just curious what others do besides this or an extra flexible band at the top of the tank. Can get pictures later - about to go to bed.
I use a bolt snap attached with a rubber band (made from bicycle innertube) to the regulator hose where it attaches to the second stage. The rubber band is cut thick enough to keep from breaking under rougher than normal use, but thin enough to be yanked free (broken) should the bolt snap jam.
Rick

Flame away, I can take it - but this has been very useful for me:
Buy Scuba breakaway octo holder CLIP-1E with reviews at scuba.com

I clip it to the ring on the valve neck, and use two bands on the tank to control the hose (40"). It is secure, and deploys very easy. YMMV.

If it works for you, don't fix it.
However... (and this ain't a flame, just my opinion) Unless it's carried in a pocket and only taken out when it's going to be used, and *never* clipped to the diver, I generally advise folks to avoid suicide clips (any clip with a gate that can be opened by pressing a line or ring on it). Though unlikely, they can capture a line unintentionally at the most inopportune time.
:)
Rick
Flame away, I can take it - but this has been very useful for me:
Buy Scuba breakaway octo holder CLIP-1E with reviews at scuba.com

I clip it to the ring on the valve neck, and use two bands on the tank to control the hose (40"). It is secure, and deploys very easy. YMMV.

I bungie the hose to the tank and have a small loop of surgical tubing up near the valve that I slip the mouthpiece if the reg into. This (loop) holds the mouthpiece close to the pony so it won't flop around (mouthpiece opening down so it won't free flow) but releases the second stage easily for deployment.

If it works for you, don't fix it.
However... (and this ain't a flame, just my opinion) Unless it's carried in a pocket and only taken out when it's going to be used, and *never* clipped to the diver, I generally advise folks to avoid suicide clips (any clip with a gate that can be opened by pressing a line or ring on it). Though unlikely, they can capture a line unintentionally at the most inopportune time.
:)
Rick

True. And to be honest, I have pondered swapping out the plastic buckle/clip with a SS "quick link", but just havent felt the urgency... with where it sits (under the valve, against the tank, under the first stage, shrouded by my body and the hoses, the liklyhood of it, by itself, snagging on something is probably the same as a bolt snap (I do respect your point - it is the only "suicide clip" on my kit).

I have two big bands holding the hose and the 2nd stage tight to the tank. One near the bottom of the hose loop and a second close to the 2nd stage. That is a simple solution unless I have misunderstood the question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom