Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[c]
flying_monkey_center_500_92119.jpg

[/c]
hey we have those at the office... when things start getting stressful, they start flying over the cube walls... its great fun

first post,a question? new to the sport and want to know about the valve on the pony bottle.is the valve easy to get to and do you turn it on before intering?picked up a second 1st,2nd mares ruby for just this setup.seems that it should be on,just asking. thanks dirtydon.

first post,a question? new to the sport and want to know about the valve on the pony bottle.is the valve easy to get to and do you turn it on before intering?picked up a second 1st,2nd mares ruby for just this setup.seems that it should be on,just asking. thanks dirtydon.
How new? Profiles help you know. Opinions vary, but...
> I turn mine on before entering and leave on, altho main turn off after charging;
> Yes you need to sling or hang it so you can reach the valve easily. I used to have a hanger that kept it out of reach; bad!!

I've got to get me one of these.. do they make a pig version?

I did not shoot the pic in the water. It just popped up...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    59.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 68

Depends on where you put it. If it is attached to your main cylinder on your back, you must leave the bottle on, as you cannot reach the valve.

I sling mine, and for a while decided I would charge the lines and leave it off, figuring I would get a breath or two while I cranked the valve.

Well, I no longer do that. I open the valve on the surface and leave it open.
For one thing, if I am diving in cold water wearing thick gloves or mittens I may have some trouble working the valve. Second if panicked diver grabs that reg to breathe they will suck the line dry before I can open the valve, then you have a second OOA and real trouble on your hands. Third, I may not be mentally all there in an emergency, and not remember that I shut it off, thinking instead that I drained it, and now instead of the leisurely ascent I bought it for I am doing a CESA risking DCS or an expansion injury when I have plenty of air.

Most people charge and shut down because they are worried a free flow will drain the unit. If it is slung you will know if it free flows and can shut it down if needed. If it is on your back you just hope it doesn't do that.

Diving a pony or not, slinging it or piggy backed, is a personal decision (except in Joisey where you need one or doubles to deboard the boat on the wet side), there is no right or wrong way, there is only my way and your way. Just make sure you know why you are carrying it the way you are. Otherwise it may not be doing what you think.

Depends on where you put it. If it is attached to your main cylinder on your back, you must leave the bottle on, as you cannot reach the valve.

I sling mine, and for a while decided I would charge the lines and leave it off, figuring I would get a breath or two while I cranked the valve.

Well, I no longer do that. I open the valve on the surface and leave it open.
I hung mine on my back tank at first, but had to turn on a buddy's who'd hung his the same way, but left it off. :11: "Never forget anything" is easier said than done.

Another time while still on my back I had leaking first stage problem, but could not see it or an air guage on the first stage, and I needed that air that time. It was almost a wreck but I swam out of it, owing a guy air.

There are back hangers that do allow for easy reaching, but I like to see my first stage as well as the spg now on a hose.

I hung mine on my back tank at first, but had to turn on a buddy's who'd hung his the same way, but left it off. :11: "Never forget anything" is easier said than done.

Another time while still on my back I had leaking first stage problem, but could not see it or an air guage on the first stage, and I needed that air that time. It was almost a wreck but I swam out of it, owing a guy air.

There are back hangers that do allow for easy reaching, but I like to see my first stage as well as the spg now on a hose.

I just don't feel comfortable reaching behind my back for something as important as my gas supply, especially with 5 or 7mm gloves on.

As for the spg on my pony, I use this:
017034_2_big.jpg

As it is slung it is easy to see at any point, plus 1 less hose to worry about...

Your eyes are younger than mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom