Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it is the nature of a forum to have a strong opinion one way or the other, but it really seems to me that in an emergency, a spare air is better than nothing, a pony is better than a spare air, and nothing beats well maintained equipment, good training (with recurrent practice) and a good dive buddy.

I guess it is the nature of a forum to have a strong opinion one way or the other, but it really seems to me that in an emergency, a spare air is better than nothing, a pony is better than a spare air, and nothing beats well maintained equipment, good training (with recurrent practice) and a good dive buddy.
Sure....
> The SA @ 3 cf is a little better than nothing and easier to carry in luggage, on the boat, on dives - but for so little more than nothing, why bother?
> The pony is going to cost about the same, giving you a lot more time @ 6, 9, 13, or 30 cf, but it is more hassle to carry traveling, boarding, diving.
> Duals give you a hell of a lot more, and you don't carry tanks for those on planes, but then you have entered a new area still with manifolds, charter boat allowing the space, etc.

Damn. Missed post #300 by just >< that much.

Alternatively, if you dive with us I can supply you with a smaller tank that you can side-sling, mount across your chest, or whatever. Choice of 20cu.ft., 30, 40 or 50.

Shameless plug!! But I don't know of anyone else here or around who keeps such tanks.

Personally, I'd like to have a holster that could hold 4 or 5 spare air to replace a weight belt. Then you'd have lots of gas. Well, at least as much as a decent size pony.

Haha, only if... I think it is only about 1lb negative! The other nice thing about the one that I have is that if you have an extra second staage, you can attach it to the 1st stage on this unit.

I love this thread...
[c]
party-smiley-017.gif

[/c]

A spare air would be ok if it where like 13,19 or 30 cu/ft and used a conventional valve with a regular regulator connected to it. Maybe suggest just a few modifications.

I think I've seen something like that somewhere. Yes, definitely I have. I believe it was called a "scuba tank".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom