Pony bottle vs. Spare Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just bought a pony myself, I would not want a Spare Air (besides the low volume, which would only work for very shallow depth bailout), for two main reasons: I don't trust the encapsulated system. What you want is redundancy. That goes not only for the air itself, but also for the equipment setup. I want a regular, good old, reliable setup with a valve that I can operate just like my primary tank, a first and second stage that I can use without touching (leaving alone holding) the bottle, and a pressure gauge so I can do a relaxed ascent. With no SPG, I my bets are you would go for the surface as fast as possible because the uncertainty whether any breath could be the last doesn't exactly help if you're freaked out anyway. Lastly, I have been told that Spare Airs are not that reliable. Even though I have no experience or data to confirm or dispel that, the whole encapsulated setup would leave me in constant doubt. Spare Airs are toys, IMHO. (Yeah, roast me...)

diverDano...at some point you might want to consider switching the AL80 to steel. I started off with an AL80 and traded them up for steel, shed a sizeable amount of lead off of my setup. I like to walk myself to the water and not need a 'rest' in route (LOL)! The less lead the better.

The fact is that spare air has helped divers in an emergency situation. As long as you understand spare air capabilities, it is not a false sense of secuity. Spare air does everthing it claims to do.

The fact is that spare air has helped divers in an emergency situation. As long as you understand spare air capabilities, it is not a false sense of secuity. Spare air does everthing it claims to do.
Really? Do tell.

The pucker factor is just too high for me to depend on a Spare Air. I think running out of gas twice on the same dive might ruin my day.:shakehead:

The pucker factor is just too high for me to depend on a Spare Air. I think running out of gas twice on the same dive might ruin my day.:shakehead:
:lol2: Happened to me once, and yeah it did...

Why Spare Air.... Not!!!
Pony? Ok! But how about some basic gas management? Minimize your risks by calculating your consumption and rock bottom turn pressure and monitor your air...
There are plenty of write ups on this subject if you need some help.
Just my 02psi
K

Staggering how much hot air has been expended over this. If you want to carry a Spare Air then do so. Just don't expect too much of it, or you'll become a statistic.

Spare Air is perfect for what it was designed for, escaping from a chopper that goes down into water.

I kinda like this thread staying alive - so we don't have to start new ones every month...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom