Pony Bottles on NJ Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's because I'm still somewhat new [only been diving a couple years], but when diving off NJ, I feel a LOT better when I can look down and see my nice slung AL40 smiling at me. Conditions get pretty crazy down there. Maybe as I get more experienced I'll be more comfortable with that.

Sure, the chances of my 119/first stage/hose/etc failing are small, and even though the viz can go from 50ft to 1ft in seconds I still try to stay with my buddy -- but still, I just feel a lot calmer knowing that I have a completely separate system slung right in front of me, and no matter what craziness happens, I'll be able to at least breathe while I figure things out. And feeling calmer/reassured leads to me being able to focus more on the dive, and just enjoying myself.
Am I Doing It Right? I suppose not. But it feels great to me, and the 40 is little hassle when wearing it anyway.

The local boats requiring redundancy [so far] haven't bothered me, as I carry it anyway. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.
As for whomever mentioned Solo diving [I stopped reading after the fighting started], a lot of the local boats allow solo divers, on a more informal basis - if you've been diving with them for awhile, obviously know what you're doing, being safe, etc. I've seen it firsthand. These guys often go down with a rebreather and TWO slung bailouts, and stay down for what seems like [and probably is] hours.

Of course it depends on the dive. When I am at 40 feet at Dutch Springs, I'm fine with my single.

Then again, I'm the FNG in the thread. Dead horse has been kicked one more time.

Every NJ boat I've dived from has required a redundant air source in their waiver. Note that an H-valve is considered acceptable.

Based on my observations, ponies on NJ boats are rare. I see divers primarily using doubles, as a distant second you'll see a pair of divers each wearing a single tank. Finally, you might see a solo diver or one of a buddy pair diving with a pony. I've never seen a buddy pair where each had a pony. Like I said, based on my observations, it is rare to have pony. Most divers just seem to opt for doubles. On a boat of 6 divers there may be 0 or 1 person using a pony.

And, yes, I would say that I see more solo divers than I do paired divers.

Based on my observations, ponies on NJ boats are rare. I see divers primarily using doubles, as a distant second you'll see a pair of divers each wearing a single tank. Finally, you might see a solo diver or one of a buddy pair diving with a pony. I've never seen a buddy pair where each had a pony. Like I said, based on my observations, it is rare to have pony. Most divers just seem to opt for doubles. On a boat of 6 divers there may be 0 or 1 person using a pony.

We're definitely on different boats! Most of the divers I see are in manifolded doubles, but those diving singles have almost all been carrying a pony. A few used H valves. Which boats do you dive on?

Based on my observations, ponies on NJ boats are rare.
Yeah i think you have observed different boats than me. Most divers that aren't diving doubles have a pony. Myself included.

Agreed - manifolded doubles are the dominant configuration.

Most divers that aren't diving doubles have a pony. Myself included.
Me too.

Every NJ boat I've dived from has required a redundant air source in their waiver. Note that an H-valve is considered acceptable.

Don't know a single boat in NJ that considers an H-valve to be a redundant air source... mostly because it's not. The tank is the source, having two valves on it provides redundant ACCESS to a single air source.

From what I understand, this is a requirement that is unique to jersey boats. Surely the jersey coast doesn't have THE WORST conditions ever. IMO its a silly requirement implemented to try and make up for a lack of real dive preparation, gas planning and management, skill, and buddy/situational awareness.

From what I understand, this is a requirement that is unique to jersey boats. Surely the jersey coast doesn't have THE WORST conditions ever. IMO its a silly requirement implemented to try and make up for a lack of real dive preparation, gas planning and management, skill, and buddy/situational awareness.

Oh, yes, thats correct. Redundant gas supplies are clearly for divers who cannot properly plan a dive, gas, etc.

Back
Top Bottom