Pony Bottles on NJ Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, yes, thats correct. Redundant gas supplies are clearly for divers who cannot properly plan a dive, gas, etc.

Besides, everyone knows that once you properly plan a dive... nothing could ever possibly go wrong!

:eyebrow:

Oh, yes, thats correct. Redundant gas supplies are clearly for divers who cannot properly plan a dive, gas, etc.

Proper "redundancy" isnt; pony bottles are a sloppy, dangerous joke. But then again, if you properly plan for a dive (conditions, depth, time, contingency gas, etc) then "redundancy" is already accounted for in the plan. It seems like these haphazard requirement are safety blankets for those that CANT or REFUSE to calculate a proper gas plan and dive plan.

The waters of jersey arent any more dangerous than ANY water out there, if you plan accordingly, know your limits, and are sufficiently trained. Telling a poorly trained AOW diver that all they need is a pony to be safe is PURE BS, but is sadly the mentality of many jersey divers, operations, and educators.

Im with Rainer on this one, all the way.

Last edited:
I always eat lots of beans and other..."intestionally stimulating" foods prior to a dive.

That way when I step aboard the charter and I am asked the inevitable question "Do you have a supply of redundant gas" I can simply lift one leg, let one rip and not even say a word to confirm the captain's query.

I think it is HILARIOUS that jersey divers have this opinion of themselves that is so effing high.

Let's be realistic, shall we? If this was a case of people having a high opinion of themselves we'd be saying "We don't need no stinking redundancy!"

I wish I knew as much now (~400 dives) as I did when I only had 50 dives!

:cool2:

Let's be realistic, shall we? If this was a case of people having a high opinion of themselves we'd be saying "We don't need no stinking redundancy!"

Fair enough. There is still the case of "we have to have these special requirements on our boats because it is soo exceptionally rough out here," though.

And yes, because I only have 50 dives means I know jack ****. I almost forgot. :D

And yes, because I only have 50 dives means I know jack ****. I almost forgot. :D

That's not what I said. I was talking about myself.

Though maybe when you have another 200-300 dives off NJ you'll come to a similar realization...

Though maybe when you have another 200-300 dives off NJ you'll come to a similar realization...

Well i certainly hope it happens sooner rather than later, so i can start working through it :D

In order to put this too rest I will take a shot at it. The rule is in place because a lot like many rules it is there to serve the least common denominator. I have no doubt that a properly trained team practicing good buddy skills can execute a dive off NJ without redundant air. Blame the training organizations, instructors, society whoever you want but that is not the majority of customers we get. Combine poor situational awareness with hunting, low vis, and the other factors facing NJ divers and buddy separation becomes a real issue. Since we can't do checkout dives it is one way for us to hopefully help to manage risk. Dive off a boat regularly and let the captain get comfortable with you and I am sure he will allow you to execute dives in any manner you want as long as you are safe.

Don't know a single boat in NJ that considers an H-valve to be a redundant air source... mostly because it's not. The tank is the source, having two valves on it provides redundant ACCESS to a single air source.

I'm not advocating that an H-Value is a redundant air source. Clearly, it is not. The use of a the H-value was suggested to the diver (an AOW student) by his instructor as an acceptable redundant air supply. The dive operator accepted this configuration as fulfilling it's safety policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom