Pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to get a backup air source for many reasons. I usually dive from anywhere 60-100 ft and my tank of choice is a hp100 or hp120. I have looked at the spare air and think that is a waste of money because if you actually were in a pancaked state at say 70ft could you make it to the surface? So it has led me to 2 tanks a faber hp 15 or a faber lp 12 what would be the advantages of one over the other? Also what else do you need to make the tank functional a 1st and 2nd stage reg? Thx in advanced

Well, yes you need a reg and a spg. Some use the tiny ones but I like one I can see easily. There are various choices on how to sling or carry it.

Aren't those steel pony tanks negative? If so, i would recommend an aluminum tank... 13 or 19 are probably good from 60-100 ft,

Yes I agree with "dumpster diver" an aluminum 19 with a 1st, 2nd stage reg and SPG on a 6 in. Hose I use the same set up but with 2 aluminum 40's for deco diving but if it's just a safe second from 100 ft a 19cuft tank will be enough

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a good deal, with this you have a spare reg that you can use if your primary reg is in the shop, H2O system is nice but you cant use the reg for anything else once its on the tank. [/FONT]Package Deals at Dive Gear Express - Dive Gear Express
[h=3]HOG Reg and Bottle Packages[/h]
Save even more with these pre-configured deco and stage bottle packages that include our deluxe AL-40 or AL-80 cylinder setup together with HOG brand regulator setups. You also get a choice of soft cover, hose color and type (rubber or flex), and choice of PSI or BAR pressure gauge. These packages from Dive Gear Express also ship with the regulator assembled and ready to dive. The strap kit is unassembled as you will tailor to your specific requirements (retainer over or under, tail length and neck clip position).
[h=2]Deco AL-40 Package[/h]
  • AL-40 Cylinder w/Pro DIN Valve
  • DIR strap kit for AL-40
  • Choice of HOG First Stages
  • HOG Second Stage w/{ 40 in |
    101.6 cm } Hose
  • Button { 1 in | 2.5 cm } SPG
  • DIN Cap, S/S Snap
[h=2]Stage AL-80 Package[/h]
  • AL-80 Cylinder w/Pro DIN Valve
  • DIR strap kit for AL-80
  • Choice of HOG First Stages
  • HOG Second Stage w/{ 40 in | 101.6 cm } Hose
  • Compact { 1.5 in | 3.8 cm } SPG w/{ 6 in |
    15.2 cm } Hose
  • DIN Cap, S/S Snap

I would advise just getting an AL40, especially if you're thinking about getting into tech...they aren't really that big or heavy, plus the buoyancy is nice.

For the regulator choice, it all depends on what you want to do with it. If I were going to turn it into a stage or deco tank, I would get a good regulator that can handle high O2 mixes. I would probably get a Hog D1 1st & 2nd stage. If it were just a bailout bottle, I would go with a simple-to-service regulator...in my case, the Conshelf XIV series which you can easily find for under $50 as a set.

The AL40 would also give you plenty of time to add a safety stop or two.

But remember, it's only useful if you bring it with you! Gas you left on the boat / shore / car / home does you no good.

Get the biggest tank you're willing to deal with.

Get the biggest tank you're willing to deal with.
I have breached and packed mine for every trip for 10 years now, included in airline luggage all the way to the hotel, then boarding the boat, reboarding after the dive, etc. - or locally carrying it across the parking lot for every practice dive, then back up the steps and back to the car. I'm glad I settled on the 19 cf, but then all I ever wanted was an emergency tank - not a deco bottle.

You can start down this path and end up with doubles! Not good for air travel. A CF19 packs.

I use a buddy! My first choice in backup air.

My second choice is a CF19. I got a cheap reg and a mini SPG. This ran under $300, but this was 6 years ago.

I attached it with a Zeagle strappy thing (Pony tank Bands). They sell different ways to mount this.

20 cu ft Pony Bottle - Redundant Air - Zeagle Dive Systems

Here a reg for $150
Aeris A2 Regulator

You can do this for about $300. Less if you have a reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom