Pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether you use a button pressure gauge or attach an SPG on a hose depends on how you're carrying the pony. If you're slinging it, which would be the most useful way to carry it, you just need a button spg. If you're tank mounting it, you would need the SPG on a hose to see it while diving.

Sometimes people who are upgrading to tech sell their used pony and that's how I bought mine. I am a petite female and carry an AL 19 cf pony without any balance or weight issues whatsoever. If you are thinking of going tech at some point, you should consider using a 30 or 40 cf pony that will adapt with you.

+1 for the 40cft. No matter what, it will be something you will be able to use in the future should you wish to enter the tech world or as a range extender. Range extender...there are a couple of ways you can extend your bottom time...acquire much bigger tank or dive doubles. Doubles could be two tanks on your back, one on each side (sidemount) or a combination of a single on your back and an extra one carried as a stage. It is just that simple. As long as you plan accordingly.

Went with a 30cf pony and picked up a new Atomic Z2 it made sense as I would make up the extra money spent on the reg after the first yr. My next question is how to mount this to my HP100 or anywhere else?

Went with a 30cf pony and picked up a new Atomic Z2 it made sense as I would make up the extra money spent on the reg after the first yr. My next question is how to mount this to my HP100 or anywhere else?
I sling mine from the left on my BC so I can see it all. I had a problem once that I could not see with it on my back tank. Too, I can pass it up to the boat separately on a small, panga boat.

I sling mine from the left on my BC so I can see it all. I had a problem once that I could not see with it on my back tank. Too, I can pass it up to the boat separately on a small, panga boat.

Can you please explain how this is attached?

+1 for the left side sling, it's more accessible in an emergency...to you, or a buddy.

Can you please explain how this is attached?
With bolt snaps to D-rings on my BC. There are various slings sold and I bet some DYI plans.

I agree with the 30 - 40 Al tank - but I sling mine on the Right - my alternate used to hang on my right and now my pony does. My Reg is a high end ScubaPro (will be moving to Deco and Tec sooner than later) so the purchase was a long term investment. I also do not cross-sling - I want to be able to peel my BC off if necessary. I got my button gauge from Dive Gear Express and it is AWESOME (easy to read under water!).

I agree with the 30 - 40 Al tank - but I sling mine on the Right - my alternate used to hang on my right and now my pony does. My Reg is a high end ScubaPro (will be moving to Deco and Tec sooner than later) so the purchase was a long term investment. I also do not cross-sling - I want to be able to peel my BC off if necessary. I got my button gauge from Dive Gear Express and it is AWESOME (easy to read under water!).

When you start doing "Tec" deco tank will go on the left, so as not to interfere with the long hose. Why not start how you mean to go on? (Or even,dare I say it?? Do It Right :wink: )

When you start doing "Tec" deco tank will go on the left, so as not to interfere with the long hose. Why not start how you mean to go on? (Or even,dare I say it?? Do It Right :wink: )

THIS is why I like this site - always learning - Thanks for the information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom