Pony tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a 19 cubic foot bottle mounted with a zeagle attachment...why go to a 13 when there is virtually no noticeable difference in weight between a 13 and a 19? might as well have extra air for an emergency!! Just my two bits worth! but then I believe that surfacing with too much air is better than a chance of running out!!!

I had a 19 before the 13. There is a 4" difference in length. It makes a noticeable difference if you sling it. My elbow used to hit on the 19, it doesn't on the 13. if I attached it I would use the 19. I use the 19 on wreck dives but most of my diving is from the shore. I usually dive with different buddies [insta-buddies]. In an emergency in the "shallows" I would rather hand off a bottle to a buddy than do an air sharing with someone I have never practiced with. Or if the buddy starts to get low I hand it to him/her for their peace of mind [hopefully to defuse a panic situation] and watch very closely as we exit. At depth it's a different story. Never give up your bottle - that might become your air of last resort. I still don't like the idea of air sharing with an insta-buddy.

I went with a Tiger mount. Pull one pin to release. The female bracket stays attached to my tank strap. Not trying to get flamed, but i went with a 30 for my own piece of mind. I completely agree with a buddy being the best choice, but in low viz conditions, I feel better knowing that I can take care of myself.

IMG-20120603-00077.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20120603-00077.jpg
    IMG-20120603-00077.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 249
Thank you for all the replies. Although some will probably say it's negligible, I was kind of starting to lean towards the 13cf mainly due to the fact that it's slightly smaller/more compact. As I see some of you have done, I was considering the Zeagle setup mounting it to my main tank.

I think I need to head over to the LDS and feel around for what I like, or see whichever is cheaper on craigslist! haha

However, it sounds like a 13cf will fit my needs. If I come across a good deal on a 19cf, I don't think I'd turn it down. If anyone is bored, feel free to school me more on compact regulator/gauge setups for the pony.

I sling a 19 on deeper dives (>80fsw) I use a zeagle reg that I bought used here on SB.

I like my 13cu ft pony, its big enough for dives down to 100 and small enough that I don't hesitate to use it on solo or boat assigned buddy dives. If you use your pony (and drill) on a regular basis, you won't stress as much should you run OOG and the 13 is plenty big (under 100').

I have a smaller pony (6) and a big boy 30. Both can be a better bottle for a specific purpose, but neither of mine see 1/2 the use as the 13.

I use an al40 or al80 or 2 with appropriate deco mix if planning long deep dives or mix-dives.The other 6-7000+dives I have come back safely ponyless with no issues as my gear is good and I look at my gauges.I really like seeing my guages so I sling any extra gas,this also allows me to see the mix I am breathing as it is marked in big letters next to the valve and gauge.I have had SPGs stick at depth as well as bump a valve into a decent leak and was able to ascend slowly without drama.

So, for those who carry pony bottle - do you also have an octo/another secondary air source on your main tank? Or is pony bottle the only secondary air source?

So, for those who carry pony bottle - do you also have an octo/another secondary air source on your main tank?

Yes, the idea is to get your buddy back on HIS/HER remaining third that YOU are carrying.

The pony doesn't figure into the calcs. It is just homage to Murphy and his laws...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom