Pony's best configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil once bubbled...
If you have some interesting anecdotes, I would enjoy hearing them.
I didn't want to bore you with the anecdote unnecessarily:
my pony entanglement anecdote

My experience is not something I ask you to respect nor does it suffice for *proof*.... it is just there in the for what it's worth department.

But here is what I have found about back mounted ponies vs doubles as far as entanglement goes:

The crevice formed between the pony and the main tank is an excellent line trapper.... and it is not reachable by most divers wearing a back mounted pony... you need a good buddy there to get you out or your rig had better be balanced so that you can remove and replace it without it going down whilst you go up.

However I can reach the valves on my doubles to clear them of any fouling... and with the hose routing I use the hoses cross over behind my neck and protect the area between the tanks and my back from trapping any line.... the area between the tanks is protected by the manifold crossover.

If you are going to use a back mounted pony then it might be prudent to intentionally allow yourself to be entangled (with a buddy there to provide safety backup) and see if you can disentangle yourself.

Neil... you are the one who said I abandoned all reason and logic here in this post

So now I think that it is your turn to produce some anecdotes from your experience with ponies vs doubles.... don'tcha think?:eek:ut:

Maybe even a little *proof* that old Uncle Pug is off his rocker having abandoned all reason and logic... especially seeing as how you are Guardian of logic and reason:D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

So now I think that it is your turn to produce some anecdotes from your experience with ponies vs doubles.... don'tcha think?:eek:ut:
Maybe even a little *proof* that old Uncle Pug is off his rocker having abandoned all reason and logic... especially seeing as how you are Guardian of logic and reason:D

Pug,
Yes, but alas, I am self-appointed guardian, so that's not worth much. In reply to your anecdote, my old dad would have said, "ayn fakokta klaynichkeit!". Which translated from the transliterated Yiddish means, "ONE sh**y little thing!". :) As you say, it's not *proof*, but it is an example, and thanks for it. And the explanation of the hose routing/manifold is helpful since I'm rarely in the presence of doubles. Makes sense to me.
As for ME giving examples of my experience with doubles, I've never used 'em. I DO have respect for other's experience, that's why I asked. I've never been even close to being entangled in anything, with or without a pony, so I have no stories there either.
I've got this perverse idea for a test where we string up a maze of monofilament and have people with different setups swim through it at specified angles and speed, blindfolded. The second test would be to swim on the surface in the kelp, spinning like sea otters, and then see who picks up the most kelp.

As for you being off your rocker, some things, like faith, need to be accepted as true without proof :)

Neil
SELF-APPOINTED guardian of logic and reason

The crevice formed between the pony and the main tank is an excellent line trapper.... and it is not reachable by most divers wearing a back mounted pony... you need a good buddy there to get you out or your rig had better be balanced so that you can remove and replace it without it going down whilst you go up.

However I can reach the valves on my doubles to clear them of any fouling... and with the hose routing I use the hoses cross over behind my neck and protect the area between the tanks and my back from trapping any line.... the area between the tanks is protected by the manifold crossover.

Not only can I reach my valves, but I can backward kick to clear an entanglement in that crevice or on the knobs if I run into something.

neil once bubbled...
As for you being off your rocker, some things, like faith, need to be accepted as true without proof :)
Concerning faith... now that is something in which, unlike scuba diving, that I am actually a genuine certified expert :wink:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Concerning faith... now that is something in which, unlike scuba diving, that I am actually a genuine certified expert :wink:

So, you're certified in the ineffable AND the inflatable? :)

First, we need to divide these into their root meanings...

Ex... once was, now isn't; a "has been"

(s)pert... merely a drip under considerable pressure.

Final derived meaning would then be:

A has been drip under considerable pressure!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom