pop ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have been getting pop ups, actually almost like a search engine webpage, often when I am on scubaboard. Liek I will be viewing a thread about tanks on planes and then get a pop up about airlines. Or I will be looking at something in the travel section and get a cruiseline pop up.

This is annoying!

Switch to the Mozilla Firefox browser, it has a built in popup blocker:
www.mozilla.org

If switching browsers is too much for you, there are other add-on products
that block popups like Norton Internet Security.

E.

You might want to check your system for spyware. This sounds like a classic case of it. At any rate, I don't get them running Windows 98SE or Windows 2000, so I really don't think it's Scubaboard......of course, I could be wrong :)

Its just that these pop ups are only happening when i am on scubaboard, so i thought there is something that could be done about it from this end as well

ScubaBoard does not run any popups nor have we ever run popups and we certainly do not have any advertising arrangements with any airline companies. I suggest you check your computer for spyware as this issue is clearly something on your computer. Try www.lavasoftusa.com for a free copy of Adaware which should help remove any spyware programs.

It has been my long standing promise, and one that I have kept without hesitation or error...

ScubaBoard will never use Pop-ups. EVER!

It has always been my feeling that content should be far more prominant than advertising. Advertising has always been a way of facilitating this board, and that policy will continue as long as I have anything to do with it.

Wendy,

The spyware that you have aquired looks for keyword in websites that you are surfing. If one of their "advertisers" matches something you're typing, it pops up an ad window.

Tech admin's suggestion of ad aware was excellent. I've found it to be far superior to Spybot S&D, but I do use them both. Run them religiously a few times a week, and you should stay clear. You can set Spybot up in advanced mode to update itself and run automatically. Adaware doesn't have a scheduling program, but you can use the Windows scheduler to do this.

Surf safe!

This was a recent thing, and i didn't know if some bad people had entered our board, like the span e-mail reponse I got from the old market place set up (thanks for bring back the old style).

I set up the pop up blocker on my aol. Problem fixed, I just had never had popups until last week.

I set up the pop up blocker on my aol. Problem fixed, I just had never had popups until last week.
You probably still have the spyware installed on your machine, its best to do a virus check, followed by the spyware killers already mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom