Port Closed This Morning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Christi,

Not to be argumentative, but you might realize that there can be multiple voices coming out of the Harbor Master's office. And the scenes later in the day were to the north of Caleta while down south it was pretty calm. When the port was "officially" closed at 11 AM we came in. Furthermore, if we had believed that the port was closed to boats less than 40ft, as you assert, we could easily have taken our divers out on our 40 ft Falicity. No matter who's exactly right or wrong, our divers did not miss a day of safe diving.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Dear Christi,

Not to be argumentative, but you might realize that there can be multiple voices coming out of the Harbor Master's office. And the scenes later in the day were to the north of Caleta while down south it was pretty calm. When the port was "officially" closed at 11 AM we came in. Furthermore, if we had believed that the port was closed to boats less than 40ft, as you assert, we could easily have taken our divers out on our 40 ft Falicity. No matter who's exactly right or wrong, our divers did not miss a day of safe diving.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Dave, I think it is truly wonderful that you have so many options for your divers - I mean that sincerely. I assert that this thread is not/was not about you or Aldora divers - it is/was about port conditions and the official status. If you will notice, I responded directly to questions and comments presented by posters based on my 1st hand experience in the spirit of providing accurate information. Your boats were only mentioned in reference to a comment that some boats were out - because your boats were the only ones out. That is simply a factual statement - nothing more, nothing less - again, it's not all about you - so please don't make it that way. I respect your business and do not doubt your safety standards in any way, shape or form :)

Dear Christi,

I think the takeaway from all this is that the Harbor Master's office needs to wake up and provide ONE clear and unambiguous way of determining port status and a way to deliver that to ALL dive shops. AS best I know the only "official" way is that dumb flag pole or continued broadcasts on VHF channel 16.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

PS Aldora was not the only dive shop that went out, there were multiple others.

Dear Christi,

I think the takeaway from all this is that the Harbor Master's office needs to wake up and provide ONE clear and unambiguous way of determining port status and a way to deliver that to ALL dive shops. AS best I know the only "official" way is that dumb flag pole or continued broadcasts on VHF channel 16.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

We are in 1000% absolute agreement here - the new guy has not been fun to deal with - and today they didn't bother showing up until almost 8:30 - but they did change the flags today :)

We are in 1000% absolute agreement here - the new guy has not been fun to deal with - and today they didn't bother showing up until almost 8:30 - but they did change the flags today :)
Does this new guy have a supervisor that can be contacted about this? It sounds to me like he needs to take his job more seriously. People's livelihoods depend on the information that he is responsible for disseminating.

What's the point of having flags if they don't change them appropriately...?

I'm pretty certain that was a "water taxi", and I actually think it was the same one. The photo Jen posted she took while I was making the video as we stood on her balcony (killer view, huh?).
I didn't know there was such a thing. The taxi union let it slip thru huh? I figured y'all were calling the ferry that.

The weather looks nice today, according to Weather Underground anyway: 83F with 11 mph from East :thumb:

Does this new guy have a supervisor that can be contacted about this? It sounds to me like he needs to take his job more seriously. People's livelihoods depend on the information that he is responsible for disseminating.

HA. You really wing some wry humor now and again. I almost spit my coffee out.

I imagine they same people what opened the new marina before it was done are supervised by the same people. The crapper trailer was still there last week. And some of the buildings are done. And by done, I mean the walls are up and they are ready for windows and doors mostly. And maybe they are working towards parking lots. Maybe.

You know the old Port Captain got in dutch when they found out he had been renting to a group for a church I think for years.

---------- Post added December 20th, 2015 at 02:40 PM ----------

I didn't know there was such a thing. The taxi union let it slip thru huh? I figured y'all were calling the ferry that.

I think it is the thing that runs to Passion Island where they taxis can'y actually drive. They did not let the water taxi to downtown occur.

If the Aldora boats were out they were not the only ones.

We saw at least three go past plus all the boats from the resort dive shop where we are staying. According to the divers that came back, they actually made dives. In addition, the dive shop also took an open water student on a shore dive.

We did not know that the closure applied to all nautical activities, so when our dives were cancelled, we tried to do a shore dive from Papa Hogs. They told us that the closure included shore dives.

Things look a bit choppy on the SCC webcam this morning (1/23). Is anyone diving?

As I understand the port was closed yesterday and today. Per Manta Man it was pretty rough yesterday and he thinks that the port captain made a good call. He said he saw the captain on his balcony yesterday and gave him a ‘thumbs up’, which brought out a smile. Sound like the Captain is learning and I haven’t heard of any complaints lately over bad calls.

Back
Top Bottom