Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big Lion Fish are the result of their stupid reef closure. They eat all the small fish that keep the green Algae in check—and that hurts the corals. I knew that would be one of the unintended consequences of the closure. Hurting the corals: Bad on them!

Dave Dillehay

I doubt they got that big in a few months. I'm thinking they came up from the depths.

Any bets as to whether the port will be closed tomorrow since wind forecast is for the high teens?
The airport and Windguru are both confirming the direction moved east. Get good dives in on your last day?

I love my usual late August timing. Families with school kids are home getting them going. Right before Labor Day travels. Threats of hurricanes are rare and even then, plenty of warning for free changes. (I should have cancelled for Dean, collected trip insurance, and replaned instead of ignoring warnings in 2007.) Last year we had cake at my BD supper. There were weather problems in Texas a week later than challenged our Saguaro cactus tour, but we improvised.

Just came back on the ferry, thru Cancun, had a great holiday with my son. Water looked fine but was closed after the morning dives. The north wind was damn strong in Playa, but not so much here in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay

This was after port closed. Horrendous conditions....couldnt drag my dog into the water. Notice the two people trying to get safely to shore.
IMAG0158.jpg

Water looked fine but was closed after the morning dives.
It was? I looked at airport and Windguru reports at 9am local and it looked like the rest of the day and the week were clear.

The north wind was damn strong in Playa
I guess I got bad scoop. I hope it's all clear there for the week now.

The airport and Windguru are both confirming the direction moved east. Get good dives in on your last day?
I did get good dives in, but in Cenotes.
When I made the call last night, the port was closed and I didn’t want to lose my last day.
I needed to be on the ferry at 7 so I couldn’t wait for the announcement.
The Cenotes were fantastic (the pit and nicte-ha) so it was a good decision for me.
I could’ve stayed in Cozumel but I didn’t want to risk it. All good...

I did get good dives in, but in Cenotes.
When I made the call last night, the port was closed and I didn’t want to lose my last day.
I needed to be on the ferry at 7 so I couldn’t wait for the announcement.
The Cenotes were fantastic (the pit and nicte-ha) so it was a good decision for me.
I could’ve stayed in Cozumel but I didn’t want to risk it. All good...
Ok, yeah, it was the safer call I guess. The Pit is a hoot of a dive I recall; not done the other one. Google maps has it in the wrong place, but that happens a lot with user input. Have a nice flight manana and come back in the summer when it's better.

Back
Top Bottom