Port Hardy Trip Report Sept 2-6th/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and we bring along a BIG container of hot water (wuss-water ) for pre- and post-dive glove/hood/suit warming, AND have BIG thermoses of hot chocolate & coffee for any wait on the surface & the trip back...

Ah, glad to see you've instituted these changes since we were there! They would have helped a lot, in the nasty weather we were unlucky enough to hit.

Ah, glad to see you've instituted these changes since we were there! They would have helped a lot, in the nasty weather we were unlucky enough to hit.

Yours WAS the coldest wildest weather of any trip of 2010! That was BRUTAL! Snow &/or storm-force winds on 1/2 the days! We got 10 good dives in, but the goal was 18 or more over the 6 days...
What we have now: Big Plus: In late July we added a new 2 storey building with 6 private guest-rooms- each room has a thermostat baseboard heater, plus building has a thermostat controlled furnace (24/7) for common areas. The "Chalet" also has a washer & dryer, a heated drying room for suits and undergarments, a 2nd air system and a 2nd generator system...
This winter we're adding more stuff to make things even more comfy as we extend our season opening earlier and our closing later.
On the dives: A 40 gal. cooler filled with hot water goes a long way...it works great for hoods & gloves before the dive, and for feet & hands after! ...and with lots of foot-room!
Plus a big thermos of coffee and another of hot chocolate in the boat helps take the chill off... I wish we'd had these things in place back in March when we got hammered by that freak weather. Anyway, they're here now....

Oh, that's wonderful news, John! Do you have any pictures of the new building on your website? Are you running the generator 24/7 now for heat?

I agree -- we had some wild and unusual weather (I don't think 87 mph winds are common). Nobody blamed you for us missing a few dives! And we fell completely in love with the diving up there, and plan to return.

The new building is shown in some of the magazine articles, and our new website due up in January will have photos of it and some other changes...

Gen starts 7 am, stops 11 pm. In the new house the furnace runs all night.... almost civilized!

I will figure out how to post pics and put a couple here later.
Inverter system runs all night, for charging strobes & lights...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom