possible FL trip, advice appreciated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onyx

Reaction score
HeyAll - I've got a free Southwest ticket that I have to use sometime in July, and was considering doing a short dive trip to Florida. I live and do most of my diving in San Diego, but have essentially never been to florida. (I was in orlando for work a few times...but that didn't count) Anyways, I was thinking of doing something like a wed - monday type of trip, and was wondering what my options are?

Southwest goes to Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa Bay, West Palm Beach, and Ft. Lauderdale. I really don't know much about the diving in FL, though.
So, which of these places would be the best?
Should I try to get to the Keys?
How costly will that be? I'm not rolling in dough, so cheaper is of course better.

Um, yeah...any advice?

Thanks!

Hi. If you're coming to Florida to dive, I'd suggest either W. Palm Beach or Key Largo. Both are great places to dive.

W. Palm is mainly drift diving (at least in my experience). I've used Jim Abernethy's and always had a good time. http://www.scuba-adventures.com/

In Key Largo, I stay with the Upper Keys Dive Center (actually in Tavernier, a little south of key largo). http://www.tropicvistadiveresort.com/upperkeysdive.htm
Been there three times this year, and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The rooms are nothing special, but you step out of your room, across the dock, and right on their Newton 46' (a really nice boat, and fast too). Both of the captains and the DMs are great, and will practically draw you a map of the site. I just did a weekend diving there (2 nights at the hotel, sat am, sat pm, sun am) for just under $300.

West palm has some nice drift diving in the 60' range. I like www.diverampage.com. And about 1 hour or so down the road is Ft.Lauderdale. There is some good shore diving in Ft. Lauderdale (which is free except to put money in the parking meters) and there are some nice reefs and wrecks there as well. In that area I like to use Parrot Island Scuba. They got the best snacks on the boat.

How difficult is it to get down to Key Largo? If I go there I assume I'd fly into Ft. Lauderdale then rent a car and drive down? Is that right?

Would the diving be significantly better there than in West Palm?

thx!

Unless there is something specific you want to dive in Key Largo I would stick to Ft. Lauderdale. Ft. Lauderdale as shore dives, reefs, and wrecks. Also if you stay in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea you can dive right from your hotel on the beach.

The beach diving in the Keys is nill...unless you don't mind swimming back after getting swept out into the ocean from under a bridge. After my recent trip to the lower keys, I can't say there's too much difference between marine life in Ft. Lauderdale area and the keys.

If you're looking for a dive shop in Key Largo for a charter, do this:

Pick up one of those nice white rocks from the side of the road. Close your eyes, and throw it.....any direction (preferably not into oncoming traffic).

You'll probably hit a dive shop.

I've never been diving in W. Palm so can't comment but Keys are nice. Ft. Lauderdale to Key Largo is +/- about 2 hr. drive. No need to go any farther south than Marathon. Tavernier Dive Center is a good shop if you're a little experienced. If you prefer diving with a group , Capt. Slate's Atlantis shop in Key Largo usually has larger groups (bigger boats) and they used to do something call "creature Feature" on friday mornings where they feed the barracuda. nurse sharks, eels etc. (not sure if they still do that or not). while I'm not big on conditioning sealife to come to humans, it does make for some good pics and interesting tales when you get home.

You might want to consider Ginnie Springs in High Springs, FL.
http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/
If you are interested in Caverns and Caves.
It's about an hour or two west of Jacksonville.
You can camp or get a motel for about $30 a night.
It is literally diving in bottled spring water.

I fly into Ft.Lauderdale, then make the two hour drive to Key Largo! Have your dive compass handy for the drive to Florida City, then - stop, get ready for another world, and go for it. There's several miles of two lane, no passing except for marked zones, so be patient. Then you get to the first island: Largo, and you'll see a giant buzzard doll sitting on a car to the left.

Lots of dive shops there, to be sure. Siltent World is cheap, but stoic. Sea Dwellers is cheap but crowded. I like Ocean Divers, or Taveneir Dive Center five miles further down the road.

Reef dives are nice enough, but nothing like Roatan. I like the deep wrecks - The Spegiel Grove, The Bigg, The Duane, The Eagle, if you and your gear are qualified.

The Holiday Inn is like all the rest, sterile. I like the Hungry Pelican motel. Really cute, nice grounds, funny statues, dock on the back bay, tame manatees.

:wink:

I enjoy the 71 degree waters in the springs. I usually stay at Jim Hollis River Rendezvous.

http://jimhollis.com/

Some Springs that are within 20-30 Minutes of the Rendezvous are.
Royal, Telford, Orange Grove, Peacock, Little River, Ginnie, & then there is the Itchetucknee River.

I think Orange Grove isn't available to just open water divers, have to have some cavern training. Dive lights are not allowed in many of the springs unless you hold a cave cert.

Troy has the Cival war era paddle boat sunk in it. Its in about 5 feet of water on the right side of the run from the spring. diving in the morning is the best when there hasn't been anyone there. They have built access ramps to many of the springs, so those of you that haven't been in a while and used to have to hoof it, wont have to worry about that anymore. Troy has a huge winding ramp that is handicap accessible, all the way down to the deck near the water. Bring your pull carts :)

Another option, and i don't think this one has been mentioned is Panama city. If you arn't into caverns, caves or springs this is a cheap spot. I have seen beach houses for rent that are comparable to hotel rooms. Also check Ebay, my wife has found that many of these places advertise by placing auctions for so many nights and you could snag your logging for cheap.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom