Post your last gear purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollis tx1 last october, just got a div10. But i also just found out that i need a zipper replacement on my drysuit....is that considered new gear purchase??

I'm not sure if I'd want to dive with that... but it looks cool as HECK!!!

Why, too high tech for you?

IMG_3346_zps3f08c046.jpg

Oh, PfcAJ, nice work!

I love to take photos of stuff:

IMG_3072_zps68e48f5b.jpg

N

Suunto SK-8 compass...bit boring. But then I'm on a spree at the moment, deciding on regs and bcd so next post will be better!

3 x SeaVision 2100 masks. All in all black. One in each of the 3 lens colors they offer (magenta for bluewater color correction, yellow for low light, clear for night, blackwater, or caverns). All with the Gauge Reader lenses (+2.0 reader lens ground into the mask lens).

Masks - SeaVisionUSA

The best part is that they were free. Sort of. I learned yesterday that because I was ordering them with corrective lenses, I could pay for them using my Health Savings Account (HSA) debit card. I have a bunch of money in that account that has rolled over from previous years, which I don't see myself ever needing (my employer contributes an annual amount equal to my insurance annual deductible), so... it's almost like the masks were free.

I got to dive with one of these last week and it showed me that my Atomic mask's constant leaking is not something I have to live with after all! Plus I definitely liked the magenta lens in the ocean off Oahu. It was nice to see stuff in (reasonably close to) true color.

They came yesterday. Yes! I can't wait to try them out in the pool on Saturday. Fingers crossed for no leaks!

2015-03-31%2009.45.38.jpg

Received Kent Tooling sliders today. Installed one on left side, they are very well made and work as advertised. I've only installed on Drysuit rig as I find not needed diving wet as mobility is fine. I'd recommend them, for me certainly make getting in and out of harness with drygloves rings, shoulder dump etc much easier.

Received Kent Tooling sliders today. Installed one on left side, they are very well made and work as advertised. I've only installed on Drysuit rig as I find not needed diving wet as mobility is fine. I'd recommend them, for me certainly make getting in and out of harness with drygloves rings, shoulder dump etc much easier.
Am I correct in that these sliders are basically just a curved bit of metal that lessens the sharp angles the webbing makes passing through the 2 slots in the plate? That is, it's not a roller or anything fancy? They are attached to a glide so the curved bit doesn't fall off without being bolted onto the plate.

I suppose a 2 inch long section of a half-round piece of most anything would work as well, as long as it resists corrosion and if you could secure it. The kent tool slider could have been made entirely out of a hard, smooth plastic and would function just as well, I'd think. One nice thing is it would seem to be a non-critical piece; if it fell off one strap would loosen by ca 1" - not really enough to mess you up seriously during a dive.

I wonder if this would work: take a 1" diameter rod (polycarbonate, delrin, brass), cut it lengthwise into two halves, and epoxy a 2" piece between the two webbing slots. HDPE would be even better, except the epoxy wouldn't stick. Or glue/bolt the half-rod to a webbing glide (but you might have to enlarge the slots so the webbing would slide easily).

Or you could just buy the Kent Tools sliders and have a elegant solution out-of-the-box... sorry, I can't help idling thinking about DIY solutions to every problem. It's how I convince SWMBO that I have to keep a shop full of tools in the basement.

Yes, you are correct, the webbing slides the "sliders" do not, they are welded on the keeper. Your DIY idea could work, but would think epoxy might not hold for long. I imagine a couple of spot welds would do the trick assuming of course you used steel. Take a closer look at the "plastic" ones being sold by SubGravity as they look to be one piece (?).

Back
Top Bottom