Potential eBay dive gear scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an FYI.

Saw info on another list I thought I'd cross post here. Apparently there has been a con artist based in NY selling some expensive dive gear on eBay - namely Inspiration and Drager rebreathers, and VR3 computers, who is doing a take the money and run scam.

The seller, once contacted, appears to be very aggressive in pursuing a sale outside of eBay once contacted, and is very vague with specifics such as serial numbers when they are requested.

The original post contained information identifying the con artist, which for the sake of doubt, I won't repost here, but I will direct people to the appropriate link if requested by PM if you are contemplating such a purchase via eBay, especially from an eBay seller with no history of feedback.

I no longer like e-bay...it was a good site 2 years ago. It has gotten out of hand...too many people trying stupid stuff. I kind of never went back after I "won" two items and never got any kind of response from the seller after numerous e-mails. I still visit...but just for price comparisons.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Here's an FYI.

Saw info on another list I thought I'd cross post here. Apparently there has been a con artist based in NY selling some expensive dive gear on eBay - namely Inspiration and Drager rebreathers, and VR3 computers, who is doing a take the money and run scam.

The seller, once contacted, appears to be very aggressive in pursuing a sale outside of eBay once contacted, and is very vague with specifics such as serial numbers when they are requested.

The original post contained information identifying the con artist, which for the sake of doubt, I won't repost here, but I will direct people to the appropriate link if requested by PM if you are contemplating such a purchase via eBay, especially from an eBay seller with no history of feedback.

~Thanks for the heads-up.

Anybody bother to mention this to ebay?

Items like you mention are sometimes pretty obvious, like a new seller will have thousands of $$ worth of stuff all ending on the same day. I'll ask if I can pick the goods up & pay in person. If they say "send the $ first, or "no" or get no answer I blow the whistle.
I'll spot stuff like that from time to time & drop ebay a note, a day or 2 later the auctions are shut down.

Anyone that buys a $1100 Dive computer on E-bay from someone with zero feedback almost deserves to be ripped off.

Always check feedback and always make sure they have positive feedback on items sold that are around the same price as what you are paying for. To make sure they didn't have 20 one dollar auctions to boost their rating.

lucid once bubbled...
Always check feedback and always make sure they have positive feedback on items sold that are around the same price as what you are paying for. To make sure they didn't have 20 one dollar auctions to boost their rating.
Bingo - I was looking at digital cameras a few weeks ago, then realised that the seller was now listing a dozen new cameras, and only had feedback for selling some used baby clothes and stuff!

Yeah, here's $600.

Both around $20 or so, for a pair of gloves and a divelight. I didn't check the feedback on the seller on either of these as the value of the stuff is so small, but I suppose that I should, just to be sure that I'm getting my stuff. Actually I just got confirmation of payment for the divelight and it should be on the way today or early next week.

For larger purchases, I agree, you really need to do your homework and make sure about who you are dealing with.

I just heard a story on the TV of a fellow who got ripped off for $55,000 on a new BMW purchased on eBay, and he used an ESCROW SERVICE. The seller and escrow service were working together, and he's out $55K!!!!

frankenmuth_tom once bubbled...
....I just heard a story on the TV of a fellow who got ripped off for $55,000 on a new BMW purchased on eBay, and he used an ESCROW SERVICE. The seller and escrow service were working together, and he's out $55K!!!!

Oprah had him on her show, I think it was yesterday. The Escrow Service set up bt the scam artist is the newest eBay scam going right now, according to authorities. I can't imagine spending that kind of money online!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Here's an FYI.

................... especially from an eBay seller with no history of feedback.

Three big red flags right there. A seller's feedback is the only indicator I rely on. Everything else can be scammed.

My experience has been most rip-off artists insist on Western Union for Payment.

Its like cash, has very lax requirements for ID of the seller/payment recipient and is not covered my eBay policy (except for the first $200, less fees) or your Visa card.

eBay is the greatest site on the planet - I've sold and bought thousands of items over the last 4+ years - Its changed the way I shop and the way live.

Don't kill the site because a very few of the tens-of-millions of transactions each month are bogus. Like everything else, if something looks to good to be true, it likely is. As with all financial transactions, be wise.

Check feedback, pay wisely, avoid high-probability rip off categories (camcorders, video, jewelry, etc.) and always contact the buyer before you complete the transaction.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom