Pregnancy and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's reasonable to be quite that heated. The evidence about diving and fetal damage is far from overwhelming, but it is suggestive, and it is a very difficult matter to study, as the papers cited in the other thread recognize.

Jennie, the one thing I would ask you to think about is not whether you will lose the baby, because that's unlikely. I would like you think about the burden of raising a brain-damaged or otherwise crippled child (not to mention the impact on the child's life). You may be making a decision for short-term gain that will result in tremendous long-term misery for two people.

Like so many things in diving, it's a risk assessment, except in this case, I don't think you can really know how big the risk to the two of you is that you are taking. But I also know that, when you are young, you feel as though if one door closes, there will never be another one. That just isn't true. It may not come in the way you expected or wanted, or at the time, but if you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.

I need advice from someone who knows what it s like to find a home in a new country and a dream job! Thank you.

Your baby is the most important , you will have another chance to get a new home again but who can tell you now what can happen with the baby, SHe might be OK or have troubles. What might seem as a dream country and job now will not be the same later. I can tell this as I have moved twice from one country to another.

I just dont have a choice.

Interesting choice of words :shakehead:. My Fiance is due in August and I can tell you that both of us value our unborn child enough to give up that which we know could harm it.

I don't think it's reasonable to be quite that heated. The evidence about diving and fetal damage is far from overwhelming, but it is suggestive, and it is a very difficult matter to study, as the papers cited in the other thread recognize.

Jennie, the one thing I would ask you to think about is not whether you will lose the baby, because that's unlikely. I would like you think about the burden of raising a brain-damaged or otherwise crippled child (not to mention the impact on the child's life). You may be making a decision for short-term gain that will result in tremendous long-term misery for two people.

Like so many things in diving, it's a risk assessment, except in this case, I don't think you can really know how big the risk to the two of you is that you are taking. But I also know that, when you are young, you feel as though if one door closes, there will never be another one. That just isn't true. It may not come in the way you expected or wanted, or at the time, but if you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to make it happen.

This is exactly right.

Jennie, if it's about a work visa, get a job at McDonalds.

Does no one else smell a possible troll here? A new member with exactly five similar posts in four old threads, and including such statements as:

GUYS SHOULD NOT EVEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS AN OPINION ON THIS!

Despite my suspicions, applause to all the ScubaBoard members like DocVikingo, TSandM, Walter, etc. who have taken the high road in their responses.

I am a dive instructor and just found out that I am pregnant. I love diving but obviously I could have a break for the baby and live without diving until after my baby is born. However, I can't. At least not yet, as I am still waiting for my work visa for this country and for the lawyers letter assuring me that my company cannot fire me. Don t get me wrong and please dont send me any angry messages, especially you men or fathers to be! WHAT DO MEN KNOW ABOUT COMPROMISES BECAUSE OF PREGNANCY? YOU GUYS SHOULD NOT EVEN HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS AN OPINION ON THIS!
Has anybody ever been in a situation like this and would be able to help me out? To be honest my life here is worth more to me than the pregnancy. I can get pregnant again/ however I cant travel into my dream country again and build up a life here as a dive instructor with a child. Now maybe yes, if I get fired, probably not.
Ps I really dont care what pro-life men and doctors etc think. I need advice from someone who knows what it s like to find a home in a new country and a dream job! Thank you.

Since the increased risk of having to take care of a disabled child for the rest of your life doesn't seem to impress you, I thought that I'd mention that the PADI, SSI, the RSTC and others forbid doing training dives while pregnant.

However the entire issue is really moot, since because of liability concerns, your employer will not allow you to dive anyway, regardless of whether or not you think you've landed "Your dream job".

And as mentioned, the reason that nobody can come up with much hard data on the subject is because experiments that can produce permanent damage in humans are illegal in most countries and immoral everywhere.

Do yourself and your baby a favor and stay on the surface while you're pregnant.

Terry

Last edited:
Shhhh listen do you smell something?

:troll:

oh sorry. So yes, I am nearly 8 weeks pregnant and still diving. I just dont have a choice.

Yes you do. You're just not willing to make the right one.

As a parent you will soon find out that your own (ego) needs are often in conflict with the needs of your children.

If you continue to choose for your own needs over theirs then your children *will* suffer, mentally and physically, as the one in your belly is right now.

Nobody can make you see reason but I for one think this is abusive and wrong.

My advice to you is the following. If you're not willing to take care of the child you're carrying then get an abortion and have another child at a later time when you are willing to take responsibility for it.

R..

fine, express an opinion on your wife s pregnancy but not on mine. and if you do want to express it anyway to it in a respectful way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom