prepared?? To meet your maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until you are a solid solo (self sufficient) diver, you cannot be a good buddy. Another diver being there in no way proves that this person will be prepared, much less any help, in a medical emergency. I watch people, on the street, stand there while others need medical help, or the police or what ever, and they just watch. Just because another diver is in the water does not mean they can or will do anything.

I agree, worthless post.

I disagree. My ARC CPR/AED/FA certs necessay for a dive safety course says so. This turned into a 'gloves off' adult diver thread. Hell, the fact that ana posted proves it. No. You can be a good buddy without a solo cert. Competence rules.

Care to elaborate about your true feelings about the original post?

Sure ...

... my answer would be who gives a crap?

I live alone ... have no kids, and my ex-wife is on the other side of the planet. When I have to list an "emergency contact" or "next of kin" I put down a sister who lives 3000 miles away, who I've seen twice in the past five years, and whose phone number I couldn't even write down without first looking it up.

I like it that way.

When my time comes, it comes. It makes no difference to me when or how. It's not how I die that matters ... it's what I can do with my life before then. I have a will and a DNR ... that's all I need. After disposal costs are covered, I don't particularly care what happens to the rest.

As for my "Maker" ... if such a Being exists, I figure It's off making other stuff and not particularly concerned about what happens to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Until you are a solid solo (self sufficient) diver, you cannot be a good buddy.

See, I'd put that the other way around ... I don't think you can be a solid solo diver until you've learned how to be a good buddy diver. Awareness is a core skill in solo diving, and learning how to dive in the company of another diver helps you develop that skill.

Self-sufficient and solo are not the same thing ... one is a skill set, the other is a mindset ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

See, I'd put that the other way around ... I don't think you can be a solid solo diver until you've learned how to be a good buddy diver. Awareness is a core skill in solo diving, and learning how to dive in the company of another diver helps you develop that skill.

Self-sufficient and solo are not the same thing ... one is a skill set, the other is a mindset ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Damnit Bob,

I'm starting to like you a bit.

I worry more about driving in a big city (NY, Boston, LA) than I do about a solo dive.
You don't have to worry too much about killing yourself driving in NY--you'll be lucky to get to 35 mph. The same with Chicago, Singapore, HK, and Boston, the last time I drove there.

Agree 100%

I disagree. My ARC CPR/AED/FA certs necessay for a dive safety course says so. This turned into a 'gloves off' adult diver thread. Hell, the fact that ana posted proves it. No. You can be a good buddy without a solo cert. Competence rules.

I didn't say anything about a solo cert. I wrote "solid solo diver". If you can't manage problems independently how will you manage them for another if you are not prepared. Mine was a general statement that basically says most "buddy" diving is same day / same ocean. The fact that you have another with you does not mean they can or will help. Personal responsibility is the first step in being a prepared diver. BTW I don't have a solo cert, but I have heard of it. I stand by my post.

I didn't say anything about a solo cert. I wrote "solid solo diver". .....//......

Fair enough, my oversight. Apologies.

...//.... If you can't manage problems independently how will you manage them for another if you are not prepared. ....//.....

I see a clear distinction between two equally skilled divers, one a confirmed solo diver and the other a confirmed buddy diver. I believe that there will be a difference as to how either processes and manages the same dive problem.

I still disagree. You can be an excellent diver and skilled buddy without ever adopting a solo mindset, card or no card. Possibly you take solo to mean any skilled diver that is capable of self-rescue. I see solo as being something quite different.

Most solo divers I know suck at being a dive buddy ... their head's too much into "my" dive, and they have a hard time wrapping it around the concept of "our" dive.

For the majority, their concept of a buddy team is "we jump in the water together and maybe see each other once in a while during the dive" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just some observations.

This post came about as a result of a recent incident I witnessed, the rip solo diver thread, and the solo cert. I truly wanted to know how far people had thought this out. The medical issue that "can not be planned for". Devon brought this to light in the other thread and I thought it deserved a look. What I did not think needed to be said were the comments about failing the course.
For my efforts to enlighten myself I was accused of being a solo forum troll, anyone who is familiar with my posts should have gotten as big a chuckle out of that as I did, thanx. Devon brought some other very rellavant issues to light in the thread that accused him of being a troll, "bubble of invincibility" is a quote I will use again.
I guess I am one of the few who thinks this through to the end, outside of the bubble while solo diving. This whole thread became lame, and dumb, due to the lack of real input or thought. So if the jury thinks it should be closed or deleted please feel free to do so.
Eric

Back
Top Bottom