prepared?? To meet your maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Care to elaborate about your true feelings about the original post?
Eric

OK.

I have solo dived for almost 50 years now. At times it was because we only had one set of gear (the early and mid 60s), at times because I had to dive and no one was available and most of the time because a buddy would interfere with the purpose of my diving (to film for my cable TV show and newspaper column or conduct scientific research).

Last I analyzed my incident history, despite diving with a buddy only about 5% of the time, I was 17 times more likely to have an incident when diving with a buddy... and the buddy was the cause.

IMHO the most important thing a solo diver can know about themselves is how they react to an emergency. I react calmly and rationally (in denial?) and have addressed the very few potentially bad situations successfully because of that. A diver who isn't aware of how they react under stress is, IMHO, not ready to solo dive regardless of how much safety gear they wear, etc.

Your mention of a medical problem does indeed present a possible scenario where a solo diver would be much more at risk than one diving with a buddy. Of course as others have pointed out, buddies are not always capable of making the proper response to these situations.

As for meeting my maker... I feel much closer to that possibility when driving the "Lost" Angeles freeway system.

Last edited:
I disagree. My ARC CPR/AED/FA certs necessay for a dive safety course says so. This turned into a 'gloves off' adult diver thread. Hell, the fact that ana posted proves it. No. You can be a good buddy without a solo cert. Competence rules.

Wow... and here I am trying to not be the typical bitter old fart. Please look a one of the post I wrote about a beach dive in South Florida there was nothing about gloves, not a pinch of confrontation.

The OP believes that he is one of the FEW who thinks about the consequences of solo diving. The way he states the issue, produces the perception that solo diving is considerably riskier than buddy diving. I strongly disagree in both cases, I believe that with few exceptions solo divers do think about the potential for things to turn fatal, I also believe that in some ways buddy diving introduces dangers not present in solo diving just like there are dangers in solo diving that are not in the buddy diving.

To me it comes down to how you present the issue. If I want to know what others do in certain situations, am I going to get positive results by asking why do they approach the situation in such a deficient way?

The OP also refers to chest thumping as an ingredient of solo diving.... really? I find that very far from the truth, people dive solo for a huge number of reasons, in an era of YouTube going solo is not exactly an effective way of chest thumping. No one is there to see what a magnificent dive you just did if you go solo.

Maybe I am a "gloves off" type of poster. So to the OP: for sure I do consider the consequences of solo diving, mine and my husband's. I like to dive and my life revolves about diving. My finances are set around it, work, residence and everything else is set with diving as main ingredient. My husband and I are married because we were already divers when we met, other things fell in place to complete the arrangement but we would have never give each other the time of day otherwise.

....//....Maybe I am a "gloves off" type of poster. ....//.....

I always thought so. That plus your experience is why I value your posts, and was really looking forward to your next post on this thread. (You know that you do your best work when provoked.) OK, OK I was spoiling for a fight at the time. I'm better now.

I'd apologize if you promise not to see it as a sign of weakness. :D

WaterPirate, your phrasing was sure to incite emotions. I will assume, however, that you really want to know.

I have insurance policies, living will, a small amount of emergency money all set aside because the chances are good that I will NOT be dying in my sleep and my wife will need some help to continue on. This is not diving related, just good preparedness.

When I dive, a non-diver always knows the general area I expect to be in, expected time, emergency phone numbers, etc, whether or not I am going solo.

I have experienced more risk with insta-buddies than if I had been solo. I do practice procedures that will help me survive an accident or to help my buddy.

There is a small risk that I will not be able to help myself in an accident where a buddy could have saved my life. I am mentally prepared to accept this risk, otherwise I would not be a diver at all (as safe as it has become, diving is still a specialized and risky lifestyle activity).

Some people feel that solo diving is foolish due to the risk involved. Others say the same about riding motorcycles, yet they exist and are popular, despite the risk. It's all about how you want to run your life. My wife understands this and, while she would be very unhappy (I think) if I went and died, would understand and honor my wishes.

- Ric

Yes I am prepared to meet my maker... and when I do I'm going to ask her what's the deal with this damn third nipple.

I hope her answer is "chicks dig em"

Reactions: Jax
I brought this to you, the members of the solo forum, of which I have been a member, in the hope of finding a consensus. Eric

You got it, just not the one you were hoping for.:shakehead:
My only use for a dive buddy is if a hungry shark comes near, knife the SOB and fin like hell!!!:rofl3:

Yes I am prepared to meet my maker... and when I do I'm going to ask her what's the deal with this damn third nipple.

Her?? And we need pics of this 'third nipple'!

"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

I prepare to live each day, meeting my maker will come soon enough and I doubt if preperation will be necessary.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom