Preparing for a PADI Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to diving (just did my OW last July). I've done less than 20 dives and am not a great diver at the moment (buoyancy's still a bit iffy and I go through air like there's no tomorrow) but I immediately fell in love with diving and want to become a PADI Divemaster. Should a person be naturally good at diving (because I fear I am not - I struggled with the skills sessions) to be a Divemaster? And when is it best to do the course? Should I do it all now and get experience as I do it, or should I spend a few years preparing? And if I was to 'prepare' for it, what is the best way to do this? Any recommended PADI courses I should do? Or just do tonnes of dives? And any recommendations on best places in the world to get experience? Sorry for the massive essay but I have been thinking about this for a while and am so unsure of what to do!

Dive dive dive! You'll know when your ready to do the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just go diving. A lot. Find a mentor, join a club, get some more experienced buddies, get out there, and have fun.

I see you're in London. I'm not too far away in Kingston. If you ever want to meet up at Wraysbury Dive Centre for a dive, let me know. Most of the time, you can get a train from Waterloo straight to Wraysbury if you don't drive (i think it's flooded at the moment though), and the dive centre is about a 2 minute walk up the road.

Don't even think about becoming a DM until your skills are nailed, your knowledge instructor level, and you have a bunch of experience. Some will say DM will make you a better diver. No it won't. Just dive. If you get any further training do not do one course right after the other. The next course you should take is a rescue class. Find an instructor/agency that will not require you to do some AOW or Adventure Diver BS. Then get 20 or 30 dives in. Then do something like UW Nav and then practice it on every dive for the next 20 or 30 dives. Then maybe an AOW with an instructor that will challenge you on every dive. Then do an Intro to Tech and maybe Adv Nitrox or any other Tech class from an agency rooted in tech. Like TDI, IANTD, or similar. While doing this observe how DM's are used, treated, and the skills they have and don't have. Look at how classes are conducted. Then think about DM. If you even still want to.

Thanks Jim that's really useful advice! I realise now that it's not all about qualifications, it's about experience. I'll practice practice practice and see how I feel next year or the year after!

I was like you -- not a talented diver, but in love with the sport. I was going to follow in the footsteps of one of the DMs who helped with my class. She had been certified four months previously, and was doing her divemaster class. Most of the DMs I met had been diving around a year.

Then I met NW Grateful Diver, and saw what diving could BE when it was done well -- done with ease, and grace, and a mindfulness I didn't know was possible. My aspirations to become a DM got derailed into aspirations of becoming a really good DIVER, and it took me a number of years to do that. Once I came back to the DM class, I truly had "role model" skills and a LOT of real world experience to bring to the students with whom I worked.

Watch the 5thD-X videos on YouTube. When you can dive with that much control, you can think about educating others.

Just go diving. A lot. Find a mentor, join a club, get some more experienced buddies, get out there, and have fun.

I see you're in London. I'm not too far away in Kingston. If you ever want to meet up at Wraysbury Dive Centre for a dive, let me know. Most of the time, you can get a train from Waterloo straight to Wraysbury if you don't drive (i think it's flooded at the moment though), and the dive centre is about a 2 minute walk up the road.

Thanks, that would be great! I haven't been to Wraysbury before and the only diving I've done in the UK was at Vobster which was great fun! I'm ready to get as much experience as I can! Thanks for the advice :)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 10:22 PM ----------

I was like you -- not a talented diver, but in love with the sport. I was going to follow in the footsteps of one of the DMs who helped with my class. She had been certified four months previously, and was doing her divemaster class. Most of the DMs I met had been diving around a year.

Then I met NW Grateful Diver, and saw what diving could BE when it was done well -- done with ease, and grace, and a mindfulness I didn't know was possible. My aspirations to become a DM got derailed into aspirations of becoming a really good DIVER, and it took me a number of years to do that. Once I came back to the DM class, I truly had "role model" skills and a LOT of real world experience to bring to the students with whom I worked.

Watch the 5thD-X videos on YouTube. When you can dive with that much control, you can think about educating others.

Thanks! It's nice to know that even if I'm not a great diver now I can still aspire to be a Divemaster one day! I will definitely wait until my skills are up to scratch! Great advice, I hope I can follow in your footsteps! :)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 10:25 PM ----------

Dive dive dive! You'll know when your ready to do the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike! I certainly hope so! I will definitely continue to dive, dive dive! Nothing would make me happier! ^^

As most have said here you need to dive to increase your skills. However, if you enroll in an internship program and start diving more while taking courses to improve your skills there is no reason why you could not be a DM in a few months and feel comfortable with your skills. If not then take a bit longer time until you do feel comfortable.

I mentor and have instructors mentor many DMT's over the years and would be happy to advise you on what would be the best for you.

What are your goals by being a Divemaster?

As most have said here you need to dive to increase your skills. However, if you enroll in an internship program and start diving more while taking courses to improve your skills there is no reason why you could not be a DM in a few months and feel comfortable with your skills. If not then take a bit longer time until you do feel comfortable.

I mentor and have instructors mentor many DMT's over the years and would be happy to advise you on what would be the best for you.

What are your goals by being a Divemaster?

Thanks! I think I will probably wait a bit until I've got more practice and feel more comfortable about my buoyancy and breathing :)

I want to work in marine conservation as a research diver and I've noticed many organisations want you to be qualified to atleast a Divemaster. But I also want to do it just to become a better, safer diver!

Agree with all the advice given. I usually add that if you want to be a DM (or possibly later an instructor) it should be that you like the idea of teaching as opposed to just diving. At 158 dives I began the course. It was a lot of work (PADI has apparently lessened the physics work in the "new" course). On the other hand it is not rocket science either. I have found that so far I've used about the same relatively small % of academic knowledge I got when assisting with classes as I did regarding my music degrees and teaching band. But it's all interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom