Preparing for a PADI Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with all the advice given. I usually add that if you want to be a DM (or possibly later an instructor) it should be that you like the idea of teaching as opposed to just diving. At 158 dives I began the course. It was a lot of work (PADI has apparently lessened the physics work in the "new" course). On the other hand it is not rocket science either. I have found that so far I've used about the same relatively small % of academic knowledge I got when assisting with classes as I did regarding my music degrees and teaching band. But it's all interesting stuff.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I'm still at university so don't know where life will take me at the moment but I know I definitely want diving to be a big part of it! I would love to be an instructor but I would also love to get involved in the research side of diving. I'll just have to see what life has in store for me! But I am definitely prepared to work hard for this. I never do things half-heartedly! :)

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I'm still at university so don't know where life will take me at the moment but I know I definitely want diving to be a big part of it! I would love to be an instructor but I would also love to get involved in the research side of diving. I'll just have to see what life has in store for me! But I am definitely prepared to work hard for this. I never do things half-heartedly! :)

I remember back then. I went into teaching rather than take my (slim) clances trying to make it as a clarinet player. Turned out I enjoyed a teaching career (was lucky that did work out well). Just remember that DMing and instructing (especially OW courses) is not really about enjoying your own diving, but rather it's the teaching--relating to students, etc. And of course teaching school is like a million times more financially stable than any kind of scuba teaching situation.

Thanks, that would be great! I haven't been to Wraysbury before and the only diving I've done in the UK was at Vobster which was great fun! I'm ready to get as much experience as I can! Thanks for the advice :)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 10:22 PM ----------

wraysbury is Wraysbury. It's great for new divers, quite shallow (although thanks to the rain and floods is 2+ meters deeper than normal). There's quite a bit in it to see, especially for the size. Just send me a PM when you want to go. Weekends are best because I have a real job :-/

Why a Divemaster? Do you want to lead divers or be an instructor? Or, on the other hand, would rather focus more of evolving as a diver and enjoying being in the water not working? Because the paths are not always the same.

Why a Divemaster? As far as I can see they don't get the chicks so why bother? Is collecting paper your thing? Nah just crapping :).

In my initial year of diving I though about doing the divemaster training but now it is a far away thought. I figure I am too selfish to waste my limited time leading around people I don't really care about plus dealing with the dickheads that always seem to crop up to even bother.

Now I am into diving with people I really like and doing dives I want to do. Selfish maybe but life is short so you would really really have to like helping people to be a divemaster. The training? Yeah maybe if you got the right trainer. I get more out of diving with a couple of mates who have hundreds of hours diving between them. There bastards. I like following and looking at stuff so every now and again they will put away the compasses and say your turn to get us back or they will come up to me and chuck away their reg and give the out of air signal.

As you can see by my limited amount of dives my training is low but I reckon my survival and rescue skills are ok :).

When I originally got certified, there was encouragement to take the advanced open water course. However, I was not yet comfortable in the water, and my skills were definitely lacking. I waited until I had about 40 dives before I took the advaned course. After completing the advanced course, there was encouragement to take the rescue diver course. Again, I waited until the comfort level was right. Once I felt the time was right, and my skill level acceptable, I took the rescue course.

I had several years experience before I began the Divemaster program. I really had to work to bring up my endurance to pass all the swimming skills tests (I could do the tests but needed to get my times down). Once I passed the swimming skills it was still a challenge to meet all the course requirements, however in the end I persevered and was successful.

Once I became a Divemaster I spent several years assisting the local shop with checkouts, open water classes, and dive supervision. I was never paid for my efforts, but did receive staff discounts at the shop, and did not have to pay for my air.

The point I would like to make, and that several others have made, is do not take the divemaster course until you are totally comfortable with your skills, and in the water. As a divemaster you will be responsible for the safety of other divers - many times new divers who are just honing their skills. Should something go wrong on a dive, you will be counted on to react in the appropriate manner to provide assistance, and possibly prevent a tragedy.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose :)

Back
Top Bottom