Price of visual inspection.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@oly5050user: Wouldn't the "liability" to which you referred only extend to the first time the customer walks out the door with the tank? From that point forward, the shop really doesn't have control of the tank, right?

I'm also curious how often a shop that does partial pressure blending requires a tank to be recertified as "O2 clean." Once a year perhaps? What happens if the tank owner decides to get a fill from another shop with the same tank? I realize that to maintain "O2 cleanliness" a tank owner should dedicate the tank for partial pressure blended nitrox use, but can the shop really guarantee that the owner isn't filling the tank with "dirty" air from another shop in-between nitrox fills? It seems to me that a fair amount of trust needs to come from both sides (shop and tank owner).

What happens if there are two dive shops in the same area which offer partial pressure blending? Do the shops usually accept each other's stamp of "O2 cleanliness"? Or must the tank owner commit to getting all of his nitrox fills for the entire year from Shop A or B?
If it says no next to O2 clean it means it cannot be filled via partial pressue method,which is the method many facilities use.Still need the valve cleaned also when O2 cleaned .Dive shops should honor each others inspections as liability for it being cleaned is on the facility who has their sticker on it. Owner of tank should be responsible enough to keep it clean by only having hydrocarbon free air introduced into tank.

If it says no next to O2 clean it means it cannot be filled via partial pressue method,which is the method many facilities use.Still need the valve cleaned also when O2 cleaned .Dive shops should honor each others inspections as liability for it being cleaned is on the facility who has their sticker on it. Owner of tank should be responsible enough to keep it clean by only having hydrocarbon free air introduced into tank.
OK. So the dive shop that does the O2 cleaning is liable for the tank actually being O2 clean...even though the tank really isn't in the shop's control once the customer walks out the door with it.

It makes sense that nearby dive shops would honor each other's "O2-clean" stickers. At least it makes it a lot easier for the tank owners.

Thanks for the response.

depends on the relationship between neighboring shops.
So true..Happy to say that does not occur here, and there is no relationship with the nearest facilities to us.One even owes me over $5,000. for teaching there, and it looks like he is going to stiff me.He is always late on rent and even has his phone and electric shut off every now and then Gets denied rental pool time because of late payment and tells paying customers some excuse...He gets cut off from equipment manufacturers for bounced checks.He has the $$ but uses it on himself for trips to Disney Land and buying a boat for his son,even though he has a 25' grady white w/twin engines for himself.. Treats customers same way, like telling them that stuff is ordered or trip is paid for, all the while neither is done and he takes the $ and uses it for something else.
I do not like saying anything about them until I am asked why I am not there after all the years I taught there. Even when asked I am not too specific about it.Real sore point here as I thought he could be trusted to do the right thing.I was sadly very wrong, big disapontment. I take it as an expensive learning experience.
Still honor their stickers.Why take it out on the customer?

If you start doing you own O2 cleaning and inspections, you will understand at $49 is a reasonable price for all of that work.

As Dr. Wu said, it is a real PITA. I have about 15 cylinders and do all of my own inspections, O2 cleaning, valve work, etc. It is a painful process.

I agree entirely with all of Bubbletrubble's comments.

The big question is why are you having it O2 clean? Unless you're partial pressure blending Nitrox or using it for mixes above 40% it's not needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom