Primary light: How best to carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one of these extendable lanyard clips on a right upper D ring for mine:

Princeton Tec Coil Lanyard GG-100-BK with reviews at scuba.com

During entries, exits, and any time I want both hands free, I clip the lanyard in its short position, which is only a couple inches of dangly. Once I start descending, I unclip the connector, and the lanyard extends, although it stays attached to the D ring. If I drop the light, it can only fall to the extent the lanyard stretches. With about 3 feet of stretch, it's easy to hold the light in any position I want.

This might not be the best where there are entanglement hazards, but for my Laguna Beach or Carribean night dives, it works just fine.

Mike

I have it clipped to a D ring. I don't need to unclip it to use it, but when I have it with me It's in my hand the majority of the dive. I only leave it hang when I'm first getting into the water, and when I'm on my safety stop until I get out.

Yup, what he said. Sometimes when its good visibility, I just leave it and not worry about it at all.

I could write a book ...friend of mine rolled out our 18 ft boat and his light stayed in the boat...big heavy pistol grip thing with one of those lanyards made of black hosing / tubing tied to his wrist....it stretched about 3 or 4 ft and he's hanging over the side by his wrist - about that time the light came unhung and the kinetic energy in that stretched out lanyard swung about 4 lbs of light up over the gunnel and down on top of his head...I though it had killed him...he was cross-eyed for a couple of days and had a headache for a week.

I built a helmet out of a bicycle helmet, mounted three of the 6 cell Q-beam lights on it - one in the middle, one on each side focused about 4 ft out - about the limit of my viz - i can use any combination or all three...I can also remove one - mount the head for my cave-light when I want a lot of light, save the other two for spares in case my battery (or bulb ...grumble, grumble) goes down. I really like the proteCtion for my head - I river dive and am always bumping into something head first, did a free ascent and hit the boat one time - I actually wore it on a night reef dive off-shore once - the rest of the group was laughing at my rig, AFTER THE DIVE THEY ALL WANTED ONE.

I could write a book ...friend of mine rolled out our 18 ft boat and his light stayed in the boat...big heavy pistol grip thing with one of those lanyards made of black hosing / tubing tied to his wrist....it stretched about 3 or 4 ft and he's hanging over the side by his wrist - about that time the light came unhung and the kinetic energy in that stretched out lanyard swung about 4 lbs of light up over the gunnel and down on top of his head...I though it had killed him...he was cross-eyed for a couple of days and had a headache for a week.

I built a helmet out of a bicycle helmet, mounted three of the 6 cell Q-beam lights on it - one in the middle, one on each side focused about 4 ft out - about the limit of my viz - i can use any combination or all three...I can also remove one - mount the head for my cave-light when I want a lot of light, save the other two for spares in case my battery (or bulb ...grumble, grumble) goes down. I really like the proteCtion for my head - I river dive and am always bumping into something head first, did a free ascent and hit the boat one time - I actually wore it on a night reef dive off-shore once - the rest of the group was laughing at my rig, AFTER THE DIVE THEY ALL WANTED ONE.

Do you think you could post a picture of your helmet gear? Its sounds pretty neat.

Back
Top Bottom