Primary or alternate donate poll

Primary or alternate donate

• Primary

Votes: 216 74.7%
  • Alternate

Votes: 73 25.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The occasional divers are probably not reading the thread, their LDS has warned them away.

Truth! Laughing as I've always noted it was champions of mediocrity that steered divers away from ScubaBoard.

I think one strength of primary donate that is not often mentioned is that your secondary is on a tight hose and necklace.

I got my reg kicked out of my mouth for the first time about a month ago.

I only had to grab my octo from under my chin.

When I use a traditional configuration, I had a few times where the octo detached from the clip without me noticing immediately.

I worked at a shop for eight years. I can't count the number of backup regs I washed that were caked in sand. Divers would rent gear and either not clip the octo or simply let it swing freely. Most were dragged in the sand before they were returned to the shop. Unless you trip like Bob, it would be very difficult to have a necklassed backup touch the sand.

I worked at a shop for eight years. I can't count the number of backup regs I washed that were caked in sand. Divers would rent gear and either not clip the octo or simply let it swing freely. Most were dragged in the sand before they were returned to the shop. Unless you trip like Bob, it would be very difficult to have a necklassed backup touch the sand.

In my area, there's one shop that is especially egregious in their open water students all walking into the water with consoles and alternates swinging about. Not a complete surprise in that they teach resort style. I just shake my head.

PADI has 'allowed' primary donate for quite some time.

Mandatory when they were training without an alternate second stage. They were training buddy breathing in the early '80's where I was, don't know after that. There was a discussion of alternate second and pony bottles (but not called that then), but most did not have them. I picked up an alternate second in the late '80's.

I think one strength of primary donate that is not often mentioned is that your secondary is on a tight hose and necklace.

Primary donate is not dependant on a particular configuration, and can also be done with an Air 2, standard alternate in the triangle, or a double hose.

Unless you trip like Bob, it would be very difficult to have a necklassed backup touch the sand.

And no worries about sand in my reg, the "sand" there is bigger than the reg.

Bob

Primary donate is not dependant on a particular configuration, and can also be done with an Air 2, standard alternate in the triangle, or a double hose.
You are correct, I associated primary donate with the Hogarthian setup. My bad.

My alternate inflator/reg is too nice to let other people put their mouths on it.

I got my reg kicked out of my mouth for the first time about a month ago.

I only had to grab my octo from under my chin.

When I use a traditional configuration, I had a few times where the octo detached from the clip without me noticing immediately.

Not really, my alt is on a 40" on a rubber bungee under my chin

If I lose a reg, I can easily without fuss retrieve my primary. Its an OW skill which is taught and should be practiced Reg retrieval is easy especially in trim, no need to go to backup.

Getting reg kicked out is also a skills failure. Sorry no excuse

Mandatory when they were training without an alternate second stage. They were training buddy breathing in the early '80's where I was, don't know after that. There was a discussion of alternate second and pony bottles (but not called that then), but most did not have them. I picked up an alternate second in the late '80's
LOL. Fair enough. :) My description, 'For quite some time', was intended to mean for (at least) the last 20 years or so.

But, you make a really great point - in buddy breathing, primary donate is MANDATORY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom