Primary Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whichever reel you decide on make sure you become familar with it. Mark the reel in a way that you can ID it when you have no light what -so -ever. Also sometimes reels come with the line not secured to the spool shaft from the manufacturer-unwind all the line and check for this. When you get your safety reel do this and then tie small knots in it every 10 feet.

The Larry Green Reels are different from the DR. OMS reels are heavy

Jason B:
They are not shaped like the DR reels so I'm not sure where that came from.

Hmmmm... not sure how I misremembered that. You're absolutely right.

scubafool:
But http://www.northernatlanticdive.com/reels.htm might save you a little time. :D Those reels with the jasper, or side handle, are what I was referring to when I mentioned Ralph Hood and the nameIcan'tremember reels.

And that is why I look up to you so much:wink:

I sold the DR primary and safety so I can't go back and look. Yes it was a standard top handle and I believe the shaft screwed into the frame. What keeps the shaft from unscrewing from the frame though? One of my questions after the fact. No lock nut or anything.

eandiver:
And that is why I look up to you so much:wink:

I sold the DR primary and safety so I can't go back and look. Yes it was a standard top handle and I believe the shaft screwed into the frame. What keeps the shaft from unscrewing from the frame though? One of my questions after the fact. No lock nut or anything.

I have 2 friends that also had the opportunity to experience an exploding DR reel...both occurred during a lost line drill.

do it easy:
Come on man, more helium!! :D

LOL! Got Dain Bramage!

I started out with the diverite and gotten used to it so find no need to learn another design.I dont understand how someones fell apart unless the c clip popped out and that aint easy to do_Once I realized that reeling in is the opposite direction of a fishing pole the birdnesting ended.Im sure you know to soak your reel and unwind it,then reel it back in wet when its new so it wont swell and jam it up right from the gitgo.

I learned to cave dive a long time ago and I used Dive Rite reels as they were the only ones available and I hated every thing about them.

I sat sown with a friend of mine and we designed and made some reels, I ended up pulling them apart and just using the spools. Funny that years later, spools are what I would use for anything less than an exploration reel.

Look at the DSS pressed SS spools. I dont think I could think of a better reel for anything less than 1000 ft of line. If it has no moving parts, it cant jam. I like that.

I've used DR, Halcyon, and Ralph Hood reels. I'm not a big fan of DR. It's jammed on me a few times. My Halcyon reel works almost flawlessly, but it is heavy and doesn't lock down as much as I'd like. I've been know to drag a tail behind me a time or 2. I also like the RH reels, but don't own any yet. I used one in my cave class (my instructors) and really liked its smoothness and feel. It will be my next reel purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom