Primary Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But http://www.northernatlanticdive.com/reels.htm might save you a little time. :D Those reels with the jasper, or side handle, are what I was referring to when I mentioned Ralph Hood and the nameIcan'tremember reels.

I recently used reels that looked like the ones in the above link (Larry Green reels iirc). Now this was my first time using reels (other than simple spools), so take this for what it's worth but:

1. I found the overhand version easier to use, except I had to place my light on top of the handle with the light's goodman handle facing up and grip both at the same time, which was fine - I don't see whether that way of reeling compromises anything.

2. The side handle reel I could use while holding the light by the goodman handle, but the metal bolt at the middle of the handle bothered me a bit. I wasn't able to smoothly place my goodman handle against the reel handle. Also, it wasn't as comfortable to grip as the overhand reel. I like the clean look of the Salvo and H reel handles better, though I have no experience with them.

The difference between the standard Goodman handle and the Dive Rite elastic handle may make a difference.

TSandM:
The Ralph Hood reel looks very nice, but there's a metal-to-metal connection where the bolt snap is attached to the handle. It looks like that's just a bolted-on connector -- can anybody who owns that reel confirm that it would be easy to remove and replace with a tied connection?

I don't own one yet, but I have used one a couple of times and inspected it. You can remove the bolt and replace it.

scubafool:
onethatIdon'trememberthenameof
Iluvyou
:D

I bought Salvo and as a complete novice in cave diving I like it. The only problem I had was becasue of me being lefthanded and the reel being wind up for a righthanded person. But with H2Andy and Scubafool help it's now lefhanded reel.

BTW GDI - I still haven't marked it yet - trying to think about the way to do this.

Mania

mania:
iluvu2justdontellmywife :D

mania:
I still haven't marked it yet - trying to think about the way to do this.

Anything that you can feel to tell it apart from another reel will work. A couple of ideas popped into my head. A couple of zipties around the handle, buy a file and file some notches into the outer edge of the spool of the reel (on a Salvo or a Halcyon, or a DiveRite Sidewinder, file the notches on the side of the spool away from the handle).

Actually, though, I am quite sure that your reel is already quite easy to tell apart. Isn't it the one with line wrapped around the spindle.:rofl3:

scubafool:

Actually, though, I am quite sure that your reel is already quite easy to tell apart. Isn't it the one with line wrapped around the spindle.:rofl3:

Oh , now that's just cruel !!! :shakehead

Da Beano

P.S. Just cause you Don't tangle em up you FOOL !!! :wink:

scubafool:
The revenge will come...be aware - your mask is in trouble.
:idhitit:
and when your mask is in trouble you are too....

scubafool:
stillluvyou

Mania

I ended up buying the Salvo 400' primary. I like it quite a bit. Very smooth. . .

I also had the opportunity to play with a Ralph Hood/Larry Green primary and it was very slick as well.

I bought a Salvo 400 as well. I'll be buying one of the Larry Green safety reels with about 150ft on it.

Both seem really nice.

Some people put a small loop of bungie on their primary and attach the double enders to that.

http://homepage.mac.com/samilaine/PhotoAlbum20.html

I tried it for awhile but it was unimpressive and unnecessary for me. The reel is either clipped off to my left chest d-ring on descent, in my hand in use, or clipped to my butt d-ring on ascent. I am not concerned about this unusual metal to metal connection.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom