Primary Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

what are you going to be using your reels for?

it makes a big difference.

cancun mark:
xiSkiGuy

what are you going to be using your reels for?

it makes a big difference.
Initially, to satisfy the requirements of my upcoming basic cave class, and then strictly for cave diving. I use spools for shooting bags and I have an OMS reel (POS) with #36 on it for wrecks.

Right now I think I'm deciding between the Salvo primary and the Ralph Hood primary, but I'm curious about using a spool as a primary. Is it difficult to reel them back in fast enough in high flow?

The Ralph Hood reel looks very nice, but there's a metal-to-metal connection where the bolt snap is attached to the handle. It looks like that's just a bolted-on connector -- can anybody who owns that reel confirm that it would be easy to remove and replace with a tied connection?

TSandM, reels tend to be the BIG exception to the metal-to-metal DIR rule. You snap onto them with a double ender, and you snap the other end of the double ender onto your d-ring. The WKPP guys do it this way too. I've never seen it done any other way.

PerroneFord:
TSandM, reels tend to be the BIG exception to the metal-to-metal DIR rule. You snap onto them with a double ender, and you snap the other end of the double ender onto your d-ring. The WKPP guys do it this way too. I've never seen it done any other way.
I may be misunderstanding your answer PF, but I think TSandM is referring to the standard (non-double ender) bolt snaps that are secured to the Ralph Hood reels semi-permanently with a metal to metal connection: http://www.northernatlanticdive.com/reels.htm

Do the WKPP divers remove the standard bolt snap and use a double ender with that (Ralph Hood) style reel or do they all use the Pathfinder-style reels?

That IS what I was referring to.

TSandM:
The Ralph Hood reel looks very nice, but there's a metal-to-metal connection where the bolt snap is attached to the handle. It looks like that's just a bolted-on connector -- can anybody who owns that reel confirm that it would be easy to remove and replace with a tied connection?

I don't own one but looking at the pictures, it appears as if the snapbolt is secured with a small SS looped band and a short bolt with a Nylock nut. You should be able to take it apart, remove the existing brass snapbolt and replace it with caveline to a SS Snapbolt. My concern would be the sharp edges of the small SS band and caveline. I own a Manta reel (One that I want to replace badly) that has the same design for the snapbolt placement, so I removed the Snapbolt and installed a small SS keyring so I could hook my Double ender to it. Would this be acceptable?

Yikes,

Sorry, I didn't realize the question was specific to the Ralph Hood reels. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom