• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Probably dumb computer question

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by Rob Teichman, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Rob Teichman

Rob Teichman Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I have an Aqualung i300 dive computer. The band is VERY long, so long, that when I wear the computer it sticks up about 3 inches past the watch face. Even when it's over a wetsuit. Can I just cut it down to a shorter length, or is there a reason its so long?

2. loosenit2

loosenit2 Solo Diver

Generally they are that long to allow for you to put the watch over a very thick wetsuit or a drysuit. You can cut it down or you could buy a smaller strap to preserve the strap if you ever do go dry. You can also just loop it back and tuck the excess under the watch retainer band.

3. kmarks

kmarks Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    No such thing as a dumb question. Yes, you can definitely cut it. It is that long so that it is one size fits all divers and all exposure suits.

4. Rob Teichman

Rob Teichman Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thanks for the quick reply! I can't find a shorter replacement band so I'll just cut it. I'm a fair weather recreational diver so, nothing more than 3mm wetsuit for me!

scrane and chillyinCanada like this.
  5. ibj40

ibj40 Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I did this for my wife's computer. When you do cut it, make sure you round and smooth the edges so there's nothing to scrape or get caught.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  6. BurhanMuntasser

BurhanMuntasser Dive Charter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Can't you just fold it back on itself?

7. Saboteur

Saboteur Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Exactly....this is what I do. Just put an elastic band on as a second strap “keeper” or whatever they are called to keep loop tidy. Dive computer OEM straps can be expensive for what they are. Keep it intact for the next owner when you buy your Shearwater.

chillyinCanada and happy-diver like this.
  8. Neilwood

Neilwood Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    They are exceptionally long to go over thick suits & gloves.

If you don't need the length, cut it (rounding the ends means less issues snagging gear etc).

9. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yeah, you can trim it. But, while you can, spend the $24 or so and pick up a spare.....

I'd cut the spare....

10. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

They don't stay folded: too thick/stiff. Or at least the Cressi ones are. (But we never bothered cutting ours: so it sticks out. Meh.)

To OP: I'd look for a NATO strap. I haven't seen one wide enough to fit ours well, but you may have better luck with yours.

chillyinCanada likes this.