Problem with my Pioneer 27# wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question Boomer....

A troll in this context is a poster who is *trolling* for comments, trouble, agruments... or whatever....

Like a fisherman who tries to bait the hook so the fish will bite... a troll disguises his/her motives and throws out comments or questions to get people hooked into a dialog.

Oh!

A "troll" is when someone comes on to the board (could be any board, mailing list, etc.) and makes a comment, asks a question, or makes a statement that he knows will get everyone in an uproar... For no other purpose than just to get everyone in an uproar.

For example, going to a Baptist mailing list and emailing everyone there with the message, "Satan's gonna git ya" would be a troll. Going to a Ferrari board and saying, "My Honda Accord is gonna kick everyone's butt here" would be a troll. Going to the Harley mailing list and saying, "What's the best kitty litter to clean up after my leaky Hog" would be a troll. Think of it as an online version of the crank phone call.

The name "trolling" comes from fishing, I gather... You konw, like "trolling" for fish... A "troller" would just be looking to "hook" someone and argue for the sake of arguing. Just to see them get their panties in a wad. :D

They are accusing me of just posting to hear myself talk... Just typing to argue... Just asking questions to see how many people I can get to respond. It's generally very bad "netiquette" ("interNET etIQUETTE") and is very rude and against the rules and will get you kicked off of most boards and mailing lists.

I can see why they think I'm trolling... But I'm asking questions because I really don't understand... Everyone's ideas seem to be very much in tune with my ways of thinking (they're the experienced ones here, so it makes me reassured that I'm on the right track), yet their resolve doesn't at all seem to be similar to mine. It's like I hear them say, "I like fast cars," and I say, "Yeah, me too" and they say, "I've got a '67 GTO" and I say, "A what? I'm interested in buying a Lamborghini." Or maybe it's me that's got the idea of a GTO and them with the Lambo. My point is that we both agree that fast is good, but we're going around it different ways, and I want to understand their fascination... I think that if there's that many people telling me how fast that car is, I might want to get involved in that, too... Understand? But when I tell them that I have a carbon and kevlar dash, and they laugh and say, "Just get a blower for your engine," I'm a bit confused. I ask them what their favorite wax is, and they laugh and tell me that if it doesn't make the car faster, it shouldn't be coming out of my wallet.

Bottom line is that they are telling me that I'm a newbie... Which I am. But we very much are disagreeing on what the best setup is... And so I'm trying to understand, largely because I'm a newbie and they aren't. But it's just not making sense.

...So I'm going to hold off on saying anything more until I give their way of doing things one more try...

Wish me luck. :D

Good luck...

And when you try a BC. Try it more than once or twice. I have lots of stuff I liked the first time. Then I hated afterwards.

One being my first car. I had to have bucket seats and a center shifter. Well after some friends had the bench and I noticed there girlfriend could slide up next to them while they drove. I figured. Maybe buckets wasn't my best decision.....:)

And I really don't care what people think of the gear I dive. DIR say's no computers. Yet I still dive my wireless. I have 2 the same kind. It's a little contriversial too. But I like it.:D

But if your wanting to dive the Andrea Doria. Better to get a backplate now and get used to it. And Half a grand isn't even a drop in the bucket on the gear you'll need. I just bought 6 Apeks regs cause they were on sale at a price nobody could beat.

And yea, I got way to many toy's. Single, no kids.

And I know it's life support equipment. I saw a girl die that had more dives than you. About 70. And she was in a nitrox class. She went deep and freaked. Bulleted to the surface and didn't breath. She turned Blue while we were looking at her. And yea, she's dead. Her husband was her buddy.

Learn your equipment and keep it simple. Adding extra pull dumps. Or using a pull dump on an inflator hose just adds a problem area.

And trying to pack a standard BC in luggage can be a pain. While packing my Backplate and 27lb wing is easy. All that extra comfy stuff you're talking about takes up alot of room. And my backplate isn't cold or hot on my back. I've used it bare and I don't have a problem. Haven't dove naked with it though.

But diving doubles with a backplate when you aren't even comfortable with it with singles isn't smart. Get used to it with a single first. And if you're dealing with a good dive shop they shouldn't have you doing this. It took me about 12 dives to get used to my backplate. Another 12 with it and my drysuit. And another 12 or more to get used to duals. But there was about a 60 dive period in between singles and duals. You need someone to set it up for you to try. That's what I meant by a good dive shop.

Oh, and a Scubapro classic and Transpac ll are both good setups. I've used both and still have the Transpac. Don't use it much anymore because it has to much padding, buckles, chest strap, and other stuff. I liked it more then the backplate when I first bought one. After about 12 dives with the backplate I liked the Backplate more. I got it set up right for me.

I think I'm wasting my time but I'm bored and at work so what the heck.

SeaJay,

Here is what I would do if i was in your situation. I would contact Extreme Exposure, I beleive you already have the number. I would get myself set up for a DIR-Fundamentals class. Once I found out when the class was, I would purchase a backplate/wing setup from Extreme Exposure. Make sure you purchase this under 30 days before the class so you can return it if after the class you still do not like it. Get EE to set the rig up for you. Dive it a couple of times. Then your class comes. Take the class with your new Halcyon gear. Once the class is over, if you still do not like the BP/wing setup, return it to Extreme Exposure.

You will not only have a properly adjusted and set up backplate, you will also have some of the best dive instruction you can buy on how to use it all correctly. Even if you choose to go back to a jacket BC, your experience will make you a much better diver.

JamesK once bubbled...
SeaJay,

Here is what I would do if i was in your situation. I would contact Extreme Exposure, I beleive you already have the number. I would get myself set up for a DIR-Fundamentals class. Once I found out when the class was, I would purchase a backplate/wing setup from Extreme Exposure. Make sure you purchase this under 30 days before the class so you can return it if after the class you still do not like it. Get EE to set the rig up for you. Dive it a couple of times. Then your class comes.

Man, that's a killer idea...

While I was down at Ginnie, I found out that they have an Intro to Cavern that I could take... Then an Intro to Cave... After diving that area a bit, and learning to cope no matter what gear I threw at myself, and managing to get pretty good at this buoyancy and trim thing pretty quickly, I feel like I'm ready for an Intro to Cavern class. I'm also overdue for my AOW by PADI...

Boy, that's a great idea... Do you recommend doing the DIR-Fund class before or after intro to Cavern?

I'm calling today to find out prices and schedule... This will definitely help shed a little light...

SeaJay,

I would take the DIR-F clas before the Cavern class. In your situation, without having purchased gear yet, taking a cavern class in any type of rental gear will be less than optimal. If you take the DIR-F class, you will already be ahead of everyone else in the cavern class, as you will already have been taught bouyancy, trim, and guideline use. Plus you will be comfortable in your new gear by then, and not have to worry about taking it into an overhead environment.

Ah, okay... That makes sense!

I'll check it out today...

Jeez, I feel like such a :putz: for not thinking of this myself... But that's why I'm the newbie, and you guys are the experienced ones. Somehow I thought that I needed the gear before I was able to check out DIR... And of course, the complication in that is that in order to purchase gear, I'd have to already commit to one philosophy of diving first. So all I could think of was to ask questions and try gear and ask some more questions...

Okay, this is me, picking up the phone now and calling about the DIR-F class. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom