Problem with my Pioneer 27# wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How unbelievably frustrating...

Okay, firstly, apparently any DIR class is only given directly through GUE. So... any kind of scheduling can be found directly on the GUE websire at http://www.gue.com

So at Extreme Exposure's recommendation (for scheduling, and also to see if there was something closer to me than 300 miles away) I went there and checked out the scheduling for the DIR-F class.

Looks like I can take the class sometime the first week in September... All I have to do is fly to Sweden. :eek:

No, no... Wait... There's a DIR-F class happening three months from now... In Munich. Yes, Germany. :confused:

Now what? What the heck is wrong with these people? They tell everyone they're "doing it wrong" and even that normal, PADI-trained OW divers are "unsafe in the water," but when we say, okay, I'll spend the dosh and give it a try... There's nobody teaching the class?? In the middle of Florida's high scuba season?

It's enough to make a newbie feel like it's got more to do with them trying to keep themselves an "elite group" than really trying to make a difference. :whack:

SeaJay, you just have to decide what is important to you, jacket bc's or the transpac may not be wrong for you. My OW instructor said he was diving backplates ages ago (10+ years I think). He says he prefers diving the transpac now because the straps are more comfortable. He still does a lot of commercial diving and dives the transpac for that.

I dive a backplate and wings for the following reasons (sort of in order of importance).

1) Out of water weight, I try to keep my out of water weight as low as possible so the trek to the shore for shore dives isn't so painful. All the weight on the backplate and wings is negative in the water. This is in contrast to a jacket BC where some of the weight out of the water is padding, which requires even more weight to make it negative in the water.

2) No cummerband and loose straps, these were very annoying to me and were always getting in the way. I never used the shoulder buckles, so why have them? In addition the cummerbund never quite fit. I am thin and even a small was too big for my waist, but was right for my chest. There were all sorts of nooks and crannies that held water (or air).

3) Take as much weight off my weight belt as possible. I dive mostly a full 3/2, with an AL plate and a single piece STA. With this setup I am neutral which means I don't need any weight belt at all. With a 7mm farmer john I need significantly less weight on the belt. With a shorty I am slightly overweight (I am thinking about getting a two piece STA to resolve this).

4) Some of the dir equipment placement is really nice, I was having trouble getting my equipment situated properly where it was out of the way when I didn't need it, but was easy to get to when I did need it. The DIR equipment model really works well

5) Fit, the harness fits me much better than a jacket. I am 5' 9" 150 pounds and couldn't get a jacket BC that fits as nicely as the BP and wings

6) Travel, BP and wings folds up much smaller than the jacket BC.

7) Cost - the BP and wings is cheaper than almost any comparable quality jacket. 27# halcyon at 200, AL BP with full harness at 70, stainless steel STA 40, cheap tank straps 35.

8) Growth - I don't know if I will do tech diving in the future. But if I do this rig will grow into it.

9) easy to clean - because the bp and wings is so simple it is easier to clean.

seabass once bubbled...

7) Cost - the BP and wings is cheaper than almost any comparable quality jacket. 27# halcyon at 200, AL BP with full harness at 70, stainless steel STA 40, cheap tank straps 35.

Where can I get the 27# halcyon wing for 200????????

I've found $278 on-line, I can get the DR travel wing for $200

the Halcyon wing would work with my TranspacII or my Backplate, the travel wing will only work with the tpII.

I currently have the DR rec wing. I want a smaller wing for Caribean vacations and single tank diving (when I progress to doubles).

Thanks,

Tavi,

I just picked up a brand new DR travel wing off Ebay last week for $100.00. It had no inflator hose... but I had a brand new one of those I picked up for $15 off Ebay.

I also have a 27lb. Halcyon wing (like new), I paid $220.00 for on Ebay.

Then there was the OMS .s.s backplate/45lb wing/S.S STA/harness all for a mere $250.00. Again like new. :)

Right now there is a 36lb. Halcyon with BP/harness/and discontinued pouch for under $350.00 on there. Hmmmmmm.....

(sorry.. felt like braggin)
:)

If I might make a recommendation, jot off a quick email to info@gue.com detailing your location and asking about the nearest/soonest DIRF classes being planned.

It isn't the greatest situation, but oftentimes DIRF classes are not posted onto the online calendar properly. If you'd like to rant about that, please feel free... most likely there are GUE instructors who would join you in venting :)

I would be honestly suprised if DIRF courses didn't "make" around Ginnie at least twice a month, and elsewhere along the atlantic seaboard as well.

To prove I'm not full of it: the web calendar still fails to note the DIRF class I took in Houston, and that is already in the past :)

Anyway, I or others can ask various instructors directly if emailing info@gue.com does not elicit a satisfactory response (or calling them at 386.454.0820).

jeff

SeaJay once bubbled...
How unbelievably frustrating...

Okay, firstly, apparently any DIR class is only given directly through GUE. So... any kind of scheduling can be found directly on the GUE websire at http://www.gue.com

So at Extreme Exposure's recommendation (for scheduling, and also to see if there was something closer to me than 300 miles away) I went there and checked out the scheduling for the DIR-F class.

Looks like I can take the class sometime the first week in September... All I have to do is fly to Sweden. :eek:

No, no... Wait... There's a DIR-F class happening three months from now... In Munich. Yes, Germany. :confused:

Now what? What the heck is wrong with these people? They tell everyone they're "doing it wrong" and even that normal, PADI-trained OW divers are "unsafe in the water," but when we say, okay, I'll spend the dosh and give it a try... There's nobody teaching the class?? In the middle of Florida's high scuba season?

It's enough to make a newbie feel like it's got more to do with them trying to keep themselves an "elite group" than really trying to make a difference. :whack:

Fetch once bubbled...
If I might make a recommendation, jot off a quick email to info@gue.com detailing your location and asking about the nearest/soonest DIRF classes being planned.

It isn't the greatest situation, but oftentimes DIRF classes are not posted onto the online calendar properly. If you'd like to rant about that, please feel free... most likely there are GUE instructors who would join you in venting :)

Great information, Fetch! I really appreciate that.

I've emailed them... Let's see what happens. If I don't hear from them by Tuesday, I'll give them a call...

Thanks for the help! Seems like there's a lot of that going on around here... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom